transmission

Old 11-27-03, 10:27 AM
Unhappy transmission

I am working on my daughters 98 mercury sable 24 valve overhead cam v6. the trans is an ax4n the vin is code s. i have the pan off and the seal is all [cleaned out] and i can not get the new seal to go up far enough to stay so i can put the pan on. i have tried 3 kits so far .the first one was noticeable to big the next one was was supposed to be the same one as for a 98 ford windstar with an orange seal. i could not get it started either .i even tried pounding it in .i should not have to do that i used vaseline on it,i twisted it , i have put several of these on before no proplem at all. i went to the mercury garage .they had to order one they said would work with a green seal. they said it was a little taller than most filters.
this pan has 19 bolts and i can't get the seal started into the area where the seal is suppose to be .it gos into the first lip but not the seal lip.
I am changing the filter because the service engine light came on and showed p 1744,something about torque converter clutch system performance. the mechanic at the merury garage said he didn't think i would do the trany any good by changing the filter and fluid ,that he thought there was another problem.
to make a long to short any help on help on this filter so i can get this car back together would be greatly appreaciated.thanks.

Sponsored Links
Old 11-28-03, 05:29 PM
Are you sure part of the old filter or seal is not still in place?p1744 torque convertor stuck mechanically in the off position.Changing the fluid will get you no where in my opinion.A stuck solenoid maybe,stuck tcc regulator valve,tcc apply valve,torque convertor clutch etc.Most items on this are not easy to diagnose and are not diy unless you know something about them yourself.You could always put the old filter back in.Then go to a trans shop for at least a diagnosis.

Old 11-28-03, 10:07 PM
filter

Originally posted by davo
Are you sure part of the old filter or seal is not still in place?p1744 torque convertor stuck mechanically in the off position.Changing the fluid will get you no where in my opinion.A stuck solenoid maybe,stuck tcc regulator valve,tcc apply valve,torque convertor clutch etc.Most items on this are not easy to diagnose and are not diy unless you know something about them yourself.You could always put the old filter back in.Then go to a trans shop for at least a diagnosis.
Every time i go to a parts store to try to get the right filter they tell me that there has to be some of the old seal left in there. there is not. the last filter came from mercury and it doesnt work either.they are all just a little to big. i put the filter in the freezer for an hour,then put vaseline on in then tried it and no go. i even tapped it several times with a rubber mall..
i truthfully think that when the car was built they used an older filter as a useup.that happens all the time.they did that on my 98 windstar.we found out that it had a filter for a 95 or 96 windstar on it .whe had trouble with it too until we tried that kit than it went right in.
to get the dealer to keep digging on a deal like this is impossible.
like i said iv'e change several of these and had no problem before now ,iv'e always had to dig the filer out. anyway any advice would be extremely helpful. i hate to put the old one back on without the seal or will that make much difference?

Old 11-29-03, 05:31 AM
I've had several filter kits that have given me troubles, like what you're talking about.. Match up the new seal to the old one, to make sure it's the same.. And yes, I've has to get pretty rough with it to fully seat into the hole.
Yes you do need a seal around the filter.

Old 11-29-03, 06:20 PM
filter

well i finally cleaned all the vaseline off of both seal and car hole and got the darn thing in to where it would stay pretty good on its own and bolted the pan on and it doesn't leak .so at least she can get it to a shop to have it diagnosed.the seal didnt go all the way in but it will have to do.if there is another problem it doesnt matter anyway,they will have to tear into it. thanks very very much for the help and happy holidays to you and your family.