Welcome to the DoItYourself Forums!

To post questions, help other DIYers and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our DIY community. It's free!

99 Cavalier

11-27-03, 10:18 PM   #1  
99 Cavalier

Two years in a row 99 Cavalier has overheated and quickly has blown head gaskets. First time was due to a faulty thermostat. Not sure on the second time. Do not think it was the thermostat or the water pump. Any one else having this problem?

Sponsored Links

WV

11-28-03, 04:31 AM   #2  
What were the conditions of the overheat? What time of year? What was the driving conditions at the time of the overheat? What parts were replaced at each time? Maybe we can narrow this down for you!
Billy

Visiting Guest

11-28-03, 08:39 AM   #3  
doclove
Hello,what motor is in your car?

11-28-03, 12:59 PM   #4  
2.1 engine
happened approx one year ago, and again three weeks ago. Both times the weather was a little on the cold side but not the middle of winter. Replaced head gasket the first time along with the thermostat. The car had never run hot for this whole year. Never over the half way mark which I believe is 190. Second time, as soon as it over heated, we replaced the thermostat. That didn't fix the problem, so we replaced the water pump, but that did not fix the overheating problem. We were 250 miles from home on the side of the road. Did not want to ruin anything else so we would not drive it any further. Had it towed to the shop. They removed and replaced head gasket. Had to put a shim in this time. They also replaced spark plugs, oil and antifreeze. Since we had replaced the thermostat & water pump ourselves , we had mechanic check those out. He said they were installed properly. He ask how far we drove it, said it had to have gotten extremely hot to have done the damage it did. I do not believe we drove it that far. Less than half mile from when I noticed it getting too hot. Never got guage into the red the second time.

11-28-03, 03:01 PM   #5  
That's fairly common on that car if you ignore the temp gauge or light. that's why they make it red. You CANNOT drive that car when it gets that hot. Aluminum heads will crack or warp in an instant if the reach the right temp and most cars use them nowadays. I'm in So Florida and I see many of them. I hear a lot of "I was only a mile from home" That turns into the most expensive mile you've ever driven. Here's something I don't understand though.

"Had to put a shim in this time".

What exactly did they put in there?

WV

11-28-03, 05:29 PM   #6  
First thing there is no such thing as a 2.1 engine. It is either a 2.2 or a 2.4 . No biggy though. Anyway. I dont understand the shim statement either. What did they shim? I cant see someone shimming the head. I would have to say if you have had the same thing happen twice, then you may actually have a small crack in the head or else it is warped and the temperature and seasonal change is merely coincidental. Personally I would be getting rid of it. My sis in law had one of these and it was a ticking time bomb, literally. Some of them are good but most are not.
Good Luck with it,
Billy

Visiting Guest

11-28-03, 05:52 PM   #7  
doclove
Hello WILDFLOWER.You probley have a 2.2.I am a G.M. tech and I am afraid you probley need a new head.I have seen this many times on the 2.2 and there is no way to fix this head,you can not surface them and they also crack in places you can not repair.All of our comments here are only good guesses at best but from 25 years of G.M. experiance this is what is probley going to be what turns out to be problem.Depending on the milage you might get the factory to help you with the repair.Yours is not the first of these to need a head and if you have a god local dealer he should want to help you out.Let us know what happens.Rick

Search this Thread