Welcome to the DoItYourself Forums!

To post questions, help other DIYers and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our DIY community. It's free!

Pops out of 4th gear

MI

11-29-03, 05:46 PM   #1  
Pops out of 4th gear

Well, now that i have fixed my slipping clutch in my 91 colt, with a 5 speed manual transmission, i suddenly have the stick "popping out of gear" when it is in 4th.

This only happens from 4th gear and none of the others. It is smooth, with no grinding or anything. And if i hold the gearshift in 4th, the car runs fine in 4th. But it is inconvenient. I have to be in 1st, 2nd, 3rd, or 5th to drive without my right hand on the gearshift.

Is this a major mechanical problem? Can it be adjusted or repaired?

thanks,
IK

Sponsored Links

WV

11-29-03, 08:50 PM   #2  
No adjustment. Internal part failure. Probably synchronizer or such.
Billy

Visiting Guest

11-29-03, 11:18 PM   #3  
mike from nj
unless you have a missing rubber bushing on the end of the shifter cable, the problem is inside the trans.

look on top of the trans, there will be two bulky cables, if there is any slop at the end of where it meets to the trans, that could be the problem. if you are unsure, have someone shift through all the gears while you watch the cables. you want about equal movement for all gear choices. the engine doesn't need to be running.

11-30-03, 01:56 AM   #4  
Did this start immediately after the clutch replacement?

MI

11-30-03, 04:06 AM   #5  
This didn't happen immediately after the clutch was installed. However, it wasn't happening at all before the clutch was installed.

It did start happening immediately after I adjusted the play in the clutch pedal in order to fix the slipping that had started happening.

WV

11-30-03, 02:27 PM   #6  
NOW it sounds like you may have inadvertently knocked something loose or off in the process of your adjustments. Go back and retrace your steps and look for anything out of the ordinary. Shiny. clean or just "that dont look right" stuff!!!
Billy

MI

11-30-03, 03:00 PM   #7  
I wish it was that easy. But I didn't do anything that could knock something out of place. I adjusted the play in the clutch pedal by turning an adjusting rod on the pedal end. Nothing there is anywhere near the transmission, and i did it lying on the floor of the driver's side of the car.

But I'm thinking maybe there was some adjustment when the clutch was replaced that was not adjusted properly. This kind of work tends to be out of my comfort zone so i have others do it. But I do like to understand the way it works in case there is a problem....like this one!

MI

12-03-03, 05:48 PM   #8  
Well, at this point, the car pops out of 4th even if I try to hold the shift in gear. So I use 3rd and 5th.

But can anyone give me any insight on this?

thanks,
IK

WV

12-03-03, 07:18 PM   #9  
Before you drive it any more and damage it any further..... Go back and UN-adjust what you adjusted.
Sounds like this is your problem.
Billy

Search this Thread