94 Probe not starting

Old 11-30-03, 05:15 PM
lorraine03
Visiting Guest
94 Probe not starting

Have a 94 Probe that won't start. We have fuel, pump is kicking in when we turn it on. Just changed the ignition control module, and the distributor coil, but have no spark coming from it. We check the distributor cap and wires. But the spark is not coming from the coil. Was just driving the car and it shut down. Its a 4 cylinder, have checked the battery it's fine. The coil shows 12 volts coming from it but nothing is getting to the spark plugs. We are at our wits ends. Please help me.

Sponsored Links
Old 11-30-03, 07:05 PM
Check for any loose damaged or corroded connectors. Check the fusible links near the battery terminals. Check all fuses and relays. There is an ignition relay located in the relay box near the battery. Swap it with a like relay and see if your problem is still there. Be sure to use the a relay that is exactly the same and ne that will not disable anything needed to start the car.
Hope this helps ya,
Billy

Old 11-30-03, 07:18 PM
Check the timing belt???

Old 12-02-03, 07:24 PM
lorraine03
Visiting Guest
Well I did check the fuses, relays, all connections, took off distributor cap and seen that it is turning so the timing belt isn't broke. I am going to take the ignition coil back and have it checked to see if possibly I was given one that was bad, other than that we are still at our wits ends. Any suggestions?????
Thanks

Old 12-03-03, 07:19 AM
power to the coil and...

...a new ICM (ignition control module)...sounds like whatever Ford uses to trigger the module inside the distributor is bad. that's merely a guess based on the fact that you have most likely eliminated the other possibilities in the ignition system. unfortunately we probably could have helped you check it without the extra added expense of unneeded parts which you probably can't return now that they are used.

Old 12-03-03, 07:19 PM
zzyzzx
Visiting Guest
Sounds like you may have a bad crankshaft position sensor. If you place a voltmeter probe on the input signal to the ignition module and the other on the ground terminal and have a friend turn the engine over you'll know if your getting a timing signal to the ingtiontion module. If not turn the ignition key to ON check for voltage at the crankshaft position sesnor cable connection. If you got this use aligator clips to clip the positive voltmeter probe to the signal wire or the sensor and clip the other to ground. You may need to puncture the wire insulation to make these connections. If after this you don't see voltage fluctuation on the meter when you turn the engine over the connection from here to the on board computer and from the computer to the igntion module needs to be checked out.

Old 12-06-03, 01:43 PM
lorraine03
Visiting Guest
Can a 1993 Probes fuel cut off switch be used on a 1994 probe.
We found that ours was broken and replaced it with a 93 model switch but it still doesn't fire. Going to check the other items on the post page.

Old 12-06-03, 02:00 PM
Fuel cut off switch is irrelevent here. It does just that Cuts off the fuel. It has no bearing on the spark. You have another issue.
Billy

Old 01-12-04, 08:12 PM
lorraine03
Visiting Guest
I am now in the process of checking the crankshaft sensor. This is part of the distributor as far as I can understand. Now is there someway I can check the sensor to see if its bad? Sorry for the delay in responding but went back to square one and rechecked all the possibilities up to this point. The Ford house is asking almost 900.00 for this part, and Auto Zone wants 249.00 would like to know before shelling out this amount if its really the problem. Any suggestions ???????