91 Taurus Steering

Old 12-01-03, 09:30 AM
rustyhouser
Visiting Guest
Question 91 Taurus Steering

HELP.....
Driving home last night in the old Taurus wagon, 1 wheel went left, the other went right. Got it torn down to find the trouble. Found the tied rod end had seperated from the steering gear. Now..??? Is that piece replaceable, or do I need to replace the entire steering gear.??? The old boat has seen better days, but the motor and tranny are still running fine at 195,000 miles.

Sponsored Links
Old 12-01-03, 10:33 AM
rack info....

...the inner tie rod screws onto the end of the steering rack...then the outer tie rod screws onto the end of the inner tie rod. inner and outer are both replaceable but i would make very sure that the rcak is not damaged in some way before replacing any tie rods. as you found out...when one becomes disconnected, you lose ALL steering control. the inner tie rod is a ball and socket arrangement with a threaded portion extending out to the outer tie rod at the steering knuckle. it generally takes a special tool to unscrew the old inner and screw on the new. After it has been replaced, the toe in should be reset at a competent alignment shop.

Old 12-02-03, 10:30 AM
rustyhouser
Visiting Guest
GOT IT

Well, I got the parts for the repairs. Things started out decent enough. Then I got to the part where special tools required. HMMM..???? The rivet driven in the end of the nut proved to be a real challenge to remove, but, after using some very colorful language, donating a pound of flesh, and a unit of blood, it was off. Getting it all back together was a breeze. BUT......It needs the front end aligned very bad now. WOW....talk about pulling.?? At least the front tires are both pointed in the same direction.

Thanks for the help. These newer auto's are real pain to do much with. It's nice to have a site and people willing to share their knowledge, and experience with others.

Rusty

Old 12-02-03, 10:37 AM
sorry dude...

...i forgot about that rivet/lockpin that ford uses...i swear if i'd have had to work on fords exclusively all those years when i was in dealerships, i'd have starved...anyways...glad you got it going...don't drive it much except to get it aligned...it'll tear your tires up very quickly...you could take a string and measure the distance between the inside of the tires behind the steering knuckle and again in front of and make them the same...good enough to get you down the street anyway...that's how the NASCAR boys do it at the track

Old 12-02-03, 11:00 AM
rustyhouser
Visiting Guest
It moves..

I was going to break out my tape measure tomorrow, and do the very thing you suggest. Got so dog gone cold out, by the time I got everything back together, my hands were numb, and my patience had long since left me. Though it best to walk away while I was still able. haha

Dog gone fords anyway, give me an old chevy impala any day. At least with them you could get it going without the need for "SPECIAL" tools.

My old 63 SS is still a breeze to work on. Then again, having had it for 25 years, I have been through every component on it at least once. She purrs like a kitten, and melts tires when you drop the old clutch. The old 409 was a good motor. Wish they had kept it in the lineup a few more years.

Again, thanks for the advice. I'll be stopping back in as the old "FORD" needs more repairs.

Rusty

Old 11-16-07, 11:18 PM
Okay, help me now

I too have to do a inner tie rod on a 1997 Taurus I just bought, how do you get this pin out that you are talking about?
I have not looked at mine yet, but assume I will have a pin too, is it easy to see and easy to access?

Old 11-17-07, 10:42 AM
ok...the tool looks like this.

http://www.nextag.com/OTC-Tools-7122...70/prices-html

the tool really helps...if you choose to just do it by brute force shearing the pic...the ragged parts left over may trash the threads on the end of the rack shaft. now you get to buy the whole thing...

Old 11-17-07, 06:16 PM
Question

Thanks for the info, I know some cars like my old Topaz I could not see or get to the pin.
Is there a trick to it as I can not find a book that says you can do it, they all call for pulling the rack out and doing on the bench.
Yet there are tools sold for on car from what I can see.

Old 11-18-07, 12:19 PM
remove the bellows boot clamps and slide the boot to the outer end and turn the wheel all the way in the opposite direction (turn to right to access the left tie rod end). There's plenty of room to use the tool referenced above...

Old 12-26-07, 09:30 AM
Hope you all had a Merry Christmas

I have now been told that the tie rods on the Taurus have no pin and someone said they may have a lock washer, but not a pin like the old ones.
Maybe I will be alright getting it off with no special tools.

Search this Thread