Nissan Maxima Axle

Old 12-01-03, 06:19 PM
kmc2000
Visiting Guest
Nissan Maxima Axle

Hi, I have 1996 Nissan Maxima SE with 124000 miles on it. I needed new brakes and took my car to Brake Masters to get the brake job done.

The mechanic suggested that I needed a new axle due to the breakage on the boots(black rubbers) as you can see in the pictures. Do I really need a new axle or I can just replace the black rubber parts that were torn. I have no knowledge about the car things. Any advice appreciated!!!!! Andy

Sponsored Links
Old 12-01-03, 07:54 PM
darrell McCoy
Visiting Guest
It has to be dis-mantled to replace the boots, if it is done properly.
With those miles I would replace both "axles" with good remanufactured parts. Cheaper in the long run.

Old 12-02-03, 04:31 AM
The reason axles are recommended instead of replacing the boots is because by the time you compare the cost of parts and labor you will come out ahead with the new axle. Plus you are getting a brand new remanufactured axle and the mechanic doesnt have to sweat taking the thing apart.
Hope this is helpful to ya,
Billy

Old 12-02-03, 04:09 PM
kmc2000
Visiting Guest
what is the average cost to replace the axles? what is going to happen if I don't get the axles replaced? Thanks in advance. Andy.

Old 12-02-03, 04:48 PM
darrell McCoy
Visiting Guest
CV joint/axles will probably run about 80 bucks each, plus core charge. Depends on new or rebuilt. Where you buy them. Then 70 and hour labor. 200 bucks -plus - labor. Billy can get you a more accurate estimate when he gets on here. Downside, if ya dont fix them you could end up in a WOS. You will be bussing, cabing it or walking. Will end up with more damage than you already have.

Old 12-02-03, 04:51 PM
If you plan to do it yourself and purchase you own axles and depending on your location you should be able to get the axles for anywhere from $50.00 to $100.00 each. Some may be more. If the boot being busted is the only issue now then you can probably ride on it awhile. All it will do is sling the grease out and make a mess. When there is no more grease then grit from the road will get in there and prematurely wear the joint out. Then you will HAVE to replace the entire axle rather than the boot. When it starts clicking thats when you know you need to replace. I dont recommend this, but as long as it is not clicking just yet you can ride on it a little while.
Billy

Old 12-02-03, 04:54 PM
Thanks Darrell..... We do them at my shop for around $179.00 each all day long. In fact when I got to work this morning I had a 94 Maxima waiting on me to finish a 2 axle job.
Billy

Old 12-02-03, 05:25 PM
kmc2000
Visiting Guest
Thumbs up

Darrell and Billy

I thank you for your quick responses, I will ship my car to your garage, Billy(Just kidding).

I will shop around here to see who offers the best. Thanks again. Andy.

Old 12-02-03, 05:31 PM
Check out the chain stores.. they will have the most competitive prices. Not necessarily the best and brightest of the competition, but most anyone can R&R an axle.... LOL
Billy