1996 geo prizm

Old 12-01-03, 09:16 PM
alexia942
Visiting Guest
Question 1996 geo prizm

I am having trouble with my 1996 geo prizm. First of all, I think I need a tune up, but I am not sure if I have reached the mileage. My car did not come with an owner's manuel. Also when do you replace the gas filter and the air filter on these cars? It is running ok, but I want to keeo it in good running condition.
I have no idea!
Does anyone know what to do?!?
HELP!
Also is there anything else I need to know? Seeing as how I am dumb at anything having to do with cars.
111,500 miles and it had 99,000 when I bought it. V-4 engine. No tune ups as of yet. Hmmm.....what to do?

Sponsored Links
Old 12-02-03, 01:32 AM
I don't really understand what the problem is , you say your having trouble with your car and then say the car is running fine.

With 111, 000 miles on that car I would have a full tune up, espacially if you think it's never been done before. It sounds like you want the car to last as long as possible, I would start with replacing plugs and wires, fuel filter, trans fluid (oil), radiator hoses, all the belts, all the air filters ( there may be 2 of them) , change the oil and filter, have the timing checked, replace the PVC if you have one, change engine coolant (antifreeze).

If you can do the work yourself, it won't be that expensive and you will be much happier about the car knowing it's been done.

keep in mind there are so many other things that should be checked when you reach 100k miles, but there are just to many items to list.

I never had it done on any of my cars yet, but I hear when the car starts to get sluggish, it could mean you have a lot of carbon in your engine, you will notice the car will have no pick-up and your gas mileage will start to get really bad. From what I hear , some shops have mechines that can clean the carbon out of your engine, you may want to look into it. Good luck

Old 12-02-03, 01:37 PM
alexia942
Visiting Guest
Talking

I really appreciate the help. Your response answers a lot of questions. I was wondering, is there a certain mileage you reach to have a tune up done?
I know on some cars it is 50,000, or maybe not. I am not smart when it comes to cars.
Thanks again!

Old 12-02-03, 03:28 PM
Your owners manual will state when scheduled maintenance should be performed.

Old 12-02-03, 05:19 PM
On your car your tune up should be done every 30k miles. So it should have been done at 90k. If you are not sure it was done at 90k then I would say that you should at least pull the plugs and check them. You are coming up on a normal scheduled maintanence interval of 112500 miles. This service is basically an oil change and tire rotation, with several things to check and inspect and several lubrication points.
The service follows:

Check
Brakes and Traction Control

Inspect
Brake Fluid
Clutch Fluid
Exhaust System
Fluid -M/T
Power Steering Fluid
Steering
Suspension
Throttle Cable/Linkage

Lubricate
Door Hinges
Hood Hinges
Parking Brake System Cable guides, underbody contact points and linkage
Shift Linkage A/T or M/T

Replace
Engine Oil
Engine Oil Filter

Rotate
Tires

Your Timing belt should have been replaced at 60k. If will need to be done again, if it was done before, at 120k.
Let us know if you need anything else.
Billy

Old 12-02-03, 06:37 PM
alexia942
Visiting Guest
Unhappy

Originally posted by davo
Your owners manual will state when scheduled maintenance should be performed.
Here is the strange part about the owners manuel. When I bought the car, it did not come with one.
Does anyone know where I can get one that is not going to cost to much?

Old 12-02-03, 06:37 PM
alexia942
Visiting Guest
Originally posted by billys68ss
On your car your tune up should be done every 30k miles. So it should have been done at 90k. If you are not sure it was done at 90k then I would say that you should at least pull the plugs and check them. You are coming up on a normal scheduled maintanence interval of 112500 miles. This service is basically an oil change and tire rotation, with several things to check and inspect and several lubrication points.
The service follows:

Check
Brakes and Traction Control

Inspect
Brake Fluid
Clutch Fluid
Exhaust System
Fluid -M/T
Power Steering Fluid
Steering
Suspension
Throttle Cable/Linkage

Lubricate
Door Hinges
Hood Hinges
Parking Brake System Cable guides, underbody contact points and linkage
Shift Linkage A/T or M/T

Replace
Engine Oil
Engine Oil Filter

Rotate
Tires

Your Timing belt should have been replaced at 60k. If will need to be done again, if it was done before, at 120k.
Let us know if you need anything else.
Billy

Thanks!!

Search this Thread