The Intrepid lives!!!!!

Old 12-02-03, 03:21 AM
Salmonslammer I
Visiting Guest
The Intrepid lives!!!!!

Just wanted to extend a great big "Thank you" for the help that I received while swapping engines in my intrepid. I finished it last night and took it out for a test drive and everything works just great.

This was my first time pulling an engine, and even though it was a huge pain, you get a great sence of satisfaction in doing the job yourself. That and I saved about a grand

Mike, your insight was invaluable on this job. Thanks again!!! You rock!!!

Sponsored Links
Old 12-02-03, 08:09 PM
mike from nj
Visiting Guest
awesome

and you did it quick too, lets just hope the trans stays working though.

Old 12-04-03, 08:15 AM
Salmonslammer I
Visiting Guest
Yea, knock on wood and hope that it holds up till spring. Do you know if anyone else (allison?) makes trans for the intrepid or is it another one of those factory only things?? Probably start looking for one after the holidays, at least have it on hand for when I do need it.

Old 12-04-03, 05:45 PM
mike from nj
Visiting Guest
i thought you said the trans was rebuilt already. some trannys that are rebuilt or replaced, didn't actually need it. in your case, if it isn't slipping, chances are it will only need a sensor or wire or a module (or even just a reprogram of the module).

many places offer rebuilt units, jasper, dealers, smaller name rebuilders, even local tranny shops will do it if you bring it in(usually less of a warranty though)

we've installed a few jasper units at the customer's request, they have a longer warranty, but come out to about the same price as a dealer's unit. my opinion, if it's put together correctly, and it lasts more than 100 miles, it will last forever if it's maintained properly (and kept cool)

for the third time, you need to check stored fault codes in the trans computer, and work from there. wouldn't it be frustrating, if you replaced the entire unit and it turned out to be a corroded connector somewhere. it happens. and, you will be cussing up a storm trying to get the exhaust out of that thing without a lift, i take it out as one complete piece, and it needs to be dropped about 5 feet in the rear to clear the frame in the front. the other option is to take the entire exhaust system apart.

Old 12-04-03, 10:59 PM
Salmonslammer I
Visiting Guest
Can those codes be pulled even though the battery was disconected for a week?? The trans has been fine since the engine was put in, figured I would have it done the next time it screws up.

The guy that sold me the car told me he rebuilt the trany, I can only take his word, which isn't much at this point.

Old 12-05-03, 03:54 AM
Those tranny's are pretty notorious for solonoid problems. The rest of the tranny is built pretty tough.

Old 12-05-03, 06:45 PM
mike from nj
Visiting Guest
the codes you had originally are long since gone. when and if it acts up again, you will have fresh information to go by.

if it's the same guy who did that type of rebuild to the engine, then i see your concerns.