Welcome to the DoItYourself Forums!

To post questions, help other DIYers and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our DIY community. It's free!

87 Mazda won't start

KY

12-02-03, 04:55 AM   #1  
87 Mazda won't start

87 Mazada 626 2L 5 speed. I do not think the battery or the terminals are the issue.

Upon turning ignition to accessories, all oil/engine lights on dash come on as usual. However, when you turn the key as to start, all lights go black and no power is provided to engine. Lights will remain black until you jiggle the battery cable, and then oil/engine lights come back on (until you turn the key to start).

It is also interesting that when you shift gears (when the oil/engine lights are on) that will also kill the dash lights similar to as when you turn the key. Popping the clutch will start the car right up.

Is it possible that there is a short in the cable or a loose connection to what ever the cable connected to or otherwise a bad electrical component. Where and how would I determine what the problems is. Your comments are appreciated in advance. Thanks again.

Sponsored Links

VA

12-02-03, 06:45 AM   #2  
Lights will remain black until you jiggle the battery cable, and then oil/engine lights come back on....this is exactly where your problem lies. this is a classic example of poor connection(s) at battery cable/terminal. if they are cables that have had replacement ends put on them, i'd consider replacing the cables...both of them. if the cables look serviceable, you should remove the cables and clean the batt terminals with a wire brush made for cleaning battery terminals. you should also clean the top of the battery with baking soda and water and then flush with clean water. if the battery has service caps, remove them and check the fluid level inside each cell. the fluid should cover the plates...be careful not to overfill if you add...and you should use distilled water if you add anything. now...inspect the battery cable ends carefully...if they are cracked or damaged in anyway, replace the cable. if they appear ok, clean them with the other end of the tool that you bought to clean the batt terminals with. if they have gree or white stuff all over them, wash them with the baking soda/water mixture. reattach them and make sure that they tighten down and get a good grip on the batt terminals. retry starting...still doesn't work?...get your battery checked properly and let us know...you may have to do some voltage checks on the connections.

Visiting Guest

12-14-03, 11:47 PM   #3  
Zanoesus
Re: 87 Mazda won't start

Originally posted by kennn
87 Mazada 626 2L 5 speed. I do not think the battery or the terminals are the issue.

Upon turning ignition to accessories, all oil/engine lights on dash come on as usual. However, when you turn the key as to start, all lights go black and no power is provided to engine. Lights will remain black until you jiggle the battery cable, and then oil/engine lights come back on (until you turn the key to start).

It is also interesting that when you shift gears (when the oil/engine lights are on) that will also kill the dash lights similar to as when you turn the key. Popping the clutch will start the car right up.

Is it possible that there is a short in the cable or a loose connection to what ever the cable connected to or otherwise a bad electrical component. Where and how would I determine what the problems is. Your comments are appreciated in advance. Thanks again.

Don't know if you are still troubled with the problem - but I also had the same thing on my vehicle and the cause was the bad connection to the EFI harness from the Starter motor just below the Airflow meter next to the battery - Check it out. and good luck

Search this Thread