car dies when shift to drive

Old 12-04-03, 06:08 PM
rufflez
Visiting Guest
car dies when shift to drive

the subject pretty much says it all the car turns on fine but as soon as i shift to drive or reverse the car shakes and dies its a 94 4.6 lincoln mark viii thanks for any help

Sponsored Links
Old 12-04-03, 07:17 PM
Could be a torque convertor problem. Can you accelerate in park? How does it run when in park?
Billy

Old 12-04-03, 07:56 PM
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
I had the same problem with my 84 Mazda B2000 pickup. I found that if I kept a light foot on the gas when shifitng into DRIVE it wouldn't stall out. Granted in that vehiclem, one of the 4 cylinders in the engine was dead (TYVM dad for not teaching me anything about vehicle maintenance) due to the distribtor cap arcing and frying the #1 cylinder. Good luck with it!!!

Last edited by billys68ss; 12-19-03 at 08:48 PM.
Old 12-05-03, 05:33 AM
Have the computer scanned for codes at some place like Auto Zone

Old 12-05-03, 02:15 PM
rufflez
Visiting Guest
thanks for the reply's guys
yeah it turn on right up i can accelerate as long as its in park
even if i keep light foot on the gas pedal it still stalls out it feels like if i was driving a stick car and i put it on first and let go the cluth without pushing the gas pedal how it moves forward a little and shuts of, i did have the computer checked and they found a bad egr valve im going to replace it since its bad anyways and see what happenes thanks again guys

Old 12-05-03, 02:28 PM
Sounds like a visit to a tranny shop is in order.If it stalls even while raising the engine rpm the torque converter almost has to be in lockup.If the egr was causing this, which I doubt very much,it would be idling terrible.

Old 12-05-03, 11:27 PM
Forum Topic Moderator
I agree...I think your torque converter is locked up. It should have an electrical connection you can unplug to keep the converter from locking.

Old 12-06-03, 08:59 AM
You can try unplugging the connector but I think that uses an electronic shift trans.Sometimes unplugging the connector makes the trans go to full torque convertor clutch apply.Also if the tcc solenoid is leaking pressure into the apply circuit unplugging the connector won't help.But give it a shot.If not tranny shop time.

Old 12-06-03, 10:13 AM
Forum Topic Moderator
Ok, not very familiar with Ford trannies, didn't know they worked that way. I know GM will not apply lockup with the TCC solenoid unplugged. In either case, if it's leaking past the solenoid actuated valve, unplugging won't matter, like you said.

Old 12-06-03, 10:43 AM
I seriously doubt at this point that you are dealing with a transmission problem. I would start with the basics and make sure that there are no vacuum leaks, and then have the computer scanned for codes like Toyotaman11769 suggested. I have also seen issues with the IAC (Idle Air Control) motor on Ford products.

Good luck.

Old 12-07-03, 04:42 PM
rufflez
Visiting Guest
thank's for your help guys but i would disconnect the neutral switch and i could go thru all the gears plug it back on and it would stall so went and bought one at autozone put it on and looks like it alleviated the problem thanks again guys