'99 Chevy Venture remote starter

Old 12-02-03, 06:03 PM
T
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
'99 Chevy Venture remote starter

Hello all. My wife's car is a '99 Chevy Venture and I was wondering if a remote starter install is something that a diy'er can do?? It already has the door locks on the key ring but unfortunately it didn't come with the starter. I would check with the Chevy dealer , but I can just imagine what that would cost. I've read where some model vehicles need a bypass module,how would I know if this is one of them?? Is it only the ones with a car alarm system? Lastly, is there any particular types of starters that are better than others?
Maybe I'd be just as well off to get one of those deals you see from time to time where the company will install it when you purchase it as a package.

Old 12-02-03, 06:43 PM
darrell McCoy
Visiting Guest
Toni: This can be a real can of worms, AKA, PITA. Some are pretty detailed and complicated. Use google search engine and look for "remote starter installation" then decide whether you want to attempt it your self or have it done.

Old 12-02-03, 06:59 PM
I have to agree with Darrell. These things can be hair raising and you have to be real careful where you make your connections. If it is connected in the wrong place you can wreak havoc on your electrical system componenets.
Billy

Old 12-03-03, 02:28 PM
D
I've replaced quite few ignition switches on GM cars with remote start.I don't know if they feedback or load the switch contacts and kill the switch but I don't care.I won't reconnect one personally.I have seen no starts,stalling and numerous other electrical problems.Most techs look for these when electrical concerns pop up and disconnect them because they may be the cause of failure.I've even seen them start a car on the lift during an oil change.I dont like damaging insulation on circuits much either,something they all do and one reason I don't reconnect them.But if you really want one, have someone with the know how do it in case you have problems.

Old 12-03-03, 04:53 PM
T
Well I guess that seals the deal. I was going to try to put one in as a X-mas present, but , after reading you guys replies I don't think I want to attempt it. As a matter of fact , I read some reviews on some particular models of starters and they tell of such things frying your starter, constantly blowing fuses, etc.
I'll keep an eye out for one of those deals I've seen advertised where the install is included. Then if there is a problem I have somewhere to turn.

Old 12-03-03, 07:21 PM
Same goes with aftermarket alarms. I disconnected an alarm from a 1997 Audi Cabriolet because it was killing the battery and eventually fried the alternator.. Then found out the car had a factory installed Alarm that WORKED.... Go figure!!!
Billy

Old 12-04-03, 04:06 AM
Y
Toni,
Just my 2 cents, like everyone else said, it can be a pain in the but to install, leave it to a pro.
I had a starter installed on my girls car last year for Christmas and the best part was, she never even knew it was installed in the car until Christmas. I asked her if I could use the car about a week before Christmas and went out and had the keyless starter installed, it took like 2 hour. I gave her back the car, and she had no clue. On Christmas, I had the remote starter wrapped in a box and gave it to her.
A couple of things, I'm not sure if it's the same way where you live but around here most install places will not install a start unless you buy the product from them. I had a Pursuit starter installed and we never had a probelm yet, but most staters all all the same.
Another thing is, do you have a computer chip in your key? That will be the first thing they ask you, because if you do then you will have to give them the spare key. Because when you install the starter system the spare key will need to be placed into the system somewhere. It's mounted somewhere under the dash and will alway be there.
Just something to keep in mind because if you do have a computer chip key , you will need to give them the spare and you will never have the spare key again, so you may want to have a spare made.

Old 12-04-03, 08:54 AM
otter_
Visiting Guest
Originally posted by YellowTang

Another thing is, do you have a computer chip in your key? That will be the first thing they ask you, because if you do then you will have to give them the spare key. Because when you install the starter system the spare key will need to be placed into the system somewhere. It's mounted somewhere under the dash and will alway be there.
Bear in mind that the installer is defeating the anti-theft system built into the vehicle. This is a cheap/slacka** way to install the system. Pay more for proper wiring and the factory anti-theft is left alone.

Old 12-04-03, 05:03 PM
T
Well how do I know if there is a chip in the key? I guess it would have to be embedded in the plastic end of it. I'll take a look at it anyway.
I seen a deal in the VIP flyer today that will install one for $159. Don't sound like too bad of a deal to me. You can purchase it for $49 and DIY, but, I think I'll pass.
One other thing on this car there is a lock/ unlock feature on the keyring, probably a factory thing. Will this be a problem when the remote starter is put in? I wouldn't think so....
I do like the idea of wrapping up the remote. I think she would get a kick out of it.

Old 12-04-03, 07:11 PM
B
one way to know is to call the dealership and find out how much a key costs. If it's like 25 bucks, it's a special key.I cannot recall if the 99's had that system or not....
But the remote starter is not a good idea on that vehicle. At the least, it has what's called passlock, which needs to be defeated in order for the remote starter to work. Don't even let a`pro` put one in.....anything less the 100%, and you are in the tennis shoe mode. And you wouldn't believe what these `pros` are capable of doing....

Old 12-05-03, 05:29 AM
otter_
Visiting Guest
pass-key III

Your 99 Venture has Pass Key III. In fact, all 99 and up U-Vans (montana, venture, silhouette) utilize pass-key III.

If a hacker installer asks you for a key, ask them how much it would cost to properly install the remote start. If they don't know what you mean, walk.

Note: Passlock is used on compact and full size platforms truck platforms only.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description: