Broken wheel stud

Old 12-05-03, 12:02 PM
Broken wheel stud

I need some help. I have a 98 Dodge 1500 pickup with a broken rear wheel stud. I've gotten a new stud and nut...it looks like the new stud has about 1/2" of spline on it. I pulled the wheel off and also the brake drum. I tried diving it out with an 8" flat punch and an extra large hammer. After several strong blows, it wouldn't budge. Also, after I somehow get it out, then do you have to pull the new stud back in?

Sponsored Links
Old 12-05-03, 01:21 PM
darrell McCoy
Visiting Guest
Should be able to drive it out. Install the new one, use several washers and the lug nut backwards and tighten, it should pull in.

Old 12-05-03, 06:56 PM
mike from nj
Visiting Guest
get a bigger hammer, and stop using the punch. it's already broken, the hammer on the stud isn't going to break it any more.

like darrel said, use a bunch of flat washers, and the nut backwards unless it's chrome, (then you can't do that). slowly tighten the lug nut by hand until it pulls into the axle. i use generous amounts of never-seize on the threads to prevent galling.

Old 12-07-03, 12:26 AM
bubinga1
Visiting Guest
get a bigger hammer, and stop using the punch. it's already broken, the hammer on the stud isn't going to break it any more.
I agree.
Good hit with a BFH should knock it out.
thanks, Tony D.