Welcome to the DoItYourself Forums!

To post questions, help other DIYers and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our DIY community. It's free!

Transmission: Is it hosed

Visiting Guest

12-05-03, 05:36 PM   #1  
dimpy99
Transmission: Is it hosed

I have 1996 Dodge Caravan (3.3 L with 128K miles). 6 weeks ago I had my oil change at Sears who put in wrong transmission fluid (Dexron vs. ATF) in my transmission that caused it to hesitate and get stuck in gears and not able to change. I left a note on this forum and someone said that whenever this happens, that is wrong transmission fuild is used, that it does cause something like this and that to remedy it I may have to drain the transmission fuild.

Neverthless, the problem seemed to go away by itself until one day my transmission shifted to 1st gear on the highway and got stuck there. Luckily I was at the Exit so I pulled into the closest mechanics shop who changed the transmission filter and the fluid. Evrything was fine and dandy after that for two weeks.

Yesterday, my van started to shift between 1st and second gear and did not shift to third gear. What I want to know is if my van's transmission is hosed...or is that there is any other thing I can do.

I checked the fluid and it is topped, and is red in color as it should be. Please help!

Thanks,

Sponsored Links

12-05-03, 06:49 PM   #2  
Go back to Sears and tell them what happened and ask them to correct the problem.Your trans is most likely damaged because of the wrong fluid.Changing it over and over will not fix it.Make Sears pay the bill.With 128k mileage this could be a battle,like did you have it changed because you already had problems.Did they suggest the trans service or did you request it?Some times just changing the fluid trashes a tranny,especially a high mile trans such as yours.

Visiting Guest

12-05-03, 07:37 PM   #3  
mike from nj
you might have to go one step higher than the sears manager, like to a zone or regional office. if the manager at the sears is uncooperative, ask him kindly for his bosses name. it is not uncommon for us to be rebuilding engines AND trannys AND rears for places like jiffy lube.

describe it a little better, does it shift 1-2-neutral? (with the rpm flaring away---like in complete neutral) if it did, you would have no reverse, as third and reverse share the same clutch pack.

does it go 1-2 and stay in second, no matter how fast you go? like if you let off the gas, the car slows down by itself (engine braking---similiar to a stick shift car)

this trans shouldn't be going bad in as little as 128,000 miles, there are many that are way higher than this and problem free.

state the facts clearly to the sears manager, it was problem free until it came here, then immediately after, you had problems. show him the receipts af the work you've already had done

either way, you're not really going to be able to fix it, i guess you have nothing to lose by getting irate with the sears personal. as it stands, it needs to be taken apart, it's just a matter of who is going to (rightfully) pay for it.

too bad (for you ) you don't live in nj

Visiting Guest

12-05-03, 10:21 PM   #4  
KurtDixon
These transmissions are not that great to begin with and that wrong fluid would have done it in. As was mentioned, talk to sears, it may take awhile but it was their mistake and they should make it right.

Visiting Guest

12-06-03, 11:07 AM   #5  
mike from nj
hey kurt, you told the stories of your friends/family with 4speed trans problems, since this is a 3 speed, maybe you could share some more stories.

the 3 and 4 speed share not a single part amongst them, they both use trans fluid and that's where the similarities end.

the 3 speed has been out since 78 and has had a few small issues, it is also based on the 727 torquflite (a mini version) and has been pretty reliable in my humble opinion.

the 4 speed has been out since 89, had some big issues initially, small problems until about 94-95, but has been pretty strong ever since.

it is such a bad trans, that the same internal design has been used in intrepids since day 1 and has been somewhat adopted into a rear wheel drive configuraton and is currently being used behind the hemi trucks.

maybe you know something i don't?

Visiting Guest

12-06-03, 03:14 PM   #6  
KurtDixon
Nope, your 100% right as always, you proved me wrong so i'll just go away now This forum has really turned to ****, I think like so many others, I will just leave. Nice treatment I get for trying to help Oh and please do take over the appliance forum since Jeff nor I will be there. I am sure you know everything about appliances also

12-06-03, 03:39 PM   #7  
This forum is to help people, not show off knowledge!! You sound like @@@@.
Inappropriate slur here!!! Please refrain!!!

Last edited by billys68ss; 12-06-03 at 06:47 PM.

Visiting Guest

12-06-03, 04:29 PM   #8  
mike from nj
dimpy: in your last post you had a 3.0L with a 3 speed, now you have a 3.3L? (which can only come with a 4 speed). which is it?

cre: me or kurt?

kurt: i wouldn't post in the appliance forum because i have nothing positive nor informative to contribute, meaning: i wouldn't be able to help anyone. where in your first sentence are you helping anyone? all i asked was for you to back up your opinion with fact. i guess there is no basis to your opinion.

in the industry, we are reminded not to bash other manufacturers or mechanic's work, as we are ALL mechanics. try it sometime.

how does it help someone with a valid question to tell them they own junk? (when they don't)

Visiting Guest

12-06-03, 04:33 PM   #9  
dimpy99
I was mistaken...it is 3.3L and 4 speed....

Thanks,

Visiting Guest

12-06-03, 04:51 PM   #10  
mike from nj
dimp: this is copied right from your previous post

Vehicle: 96 Dodge Caravan 3.0 v6 FWD 125K miles

My D does not have an O around it....am I mistaken that I have an Overdrive? Could be..

THere is an orange slide behind the D, and that is it.

that description is of a 3 speed only

if you don't tell us correct info, nobody can accurately help you. if you tell me your vin number, particularly the 8th and 10th digit, i'll tell you exactly what you have, or just the last 9 digits

Visiting Guest

12-06-03, 10:02 PM   #11  
KurtDixon
I didn't say junk, I said they were not that great (and I guess they are good now, so I was mistaken.) Junk and not that great are very different. Junk is worthless, not that great means there are better transmissions. I also don't see how I bashed Chrysler, Chrysler has made good cars, after all they have been in buisness for the greater part of the century. But every maker has weak points (so does GM and Ford and, though some people don't think so, so does Toyota and Honda.)

Search this Thread