Welcome to the DoItYourself Forums!

To post questions, help other DIYers and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our DIY community. It's free!

Vertical Streaks On Windshield

12-06-03, 09:14 AM   #1  
Vertical Streaks On Windshield

Howdy. I've got some verticle streaks on my windshield that are only noticeable on a rainy night as the wipers swipe across them. They are heavy enough that my vision is comprimised somewhat and they won't seem to clean off with standard solutions. Has anyone noticed this and if so, how can this be corrected short of replacing the windshield ?

Thanks in advance.

Sponsored Links
Visiting Guest

12-06-03, 09:25 AM   #2  
darrell McCoy
How long since a blade change? I like the natural rubber ones.
You may have overspray, grease from bugs or acid rain Spots. Try a good cleaning with ammonia. I have used clay magic and it seems to do a good job.

12-06-03, 10:37 AM   #3  
Thanks, Darrell. It's been a while since I installed new blades and it's about time, but it appears that there are deposits of some sort on the glass itself such as acid rain as you said. I was thinking of trying to wipe it down with some acetone or something strong as well. <P> The windshield is in good shape otherwise with only one rock chip but none of the usual scratches of a 12 year old windshield. I'm thinking that since glass is pretty touch, I could try some kind of chemical making sure that I don't get any on the seal (GMC truck gasket).

12-06-03, 01:57 PM   #4  
The best thing to clean a windshield after replacing the blades is Bonami.

GM has a part # on it and puts it in a silver&black can!

Toyota has a TSB on it. It will work better than a harsh chemical and remove all the old rubber and junk thats collected on the shield.

And it's guaranteed not to scratch

12-06-03, 03:43 PM   #5  
Bon Ami ???

Great...

I would have never guessed, but I'll give it a try. GM actually provides a part number for that stuff ?

12-06-03, 04:12 PM   #6  
They do and if I remember it states on the can it is Bonami.

WV

12-06-03, 06:56 PM   #7  
When I worked at Chrysler we had a customer come in with marks on their windshield that only showed up in the rain (when wet) or when the humidity was just right (inside and out) to cause it to fog slightly. We tried EVERYTHING to get it off. Wax, every general purpose cleaner we had in the shop. even convertible top cleaner. As a last ditch effort to appease this customer I got the bottle of Mag wheel cleaner and dabbed it on a rag and rubbed it into the glass. It did the trick. We cleaned it again afterwards with regular all purpose cleaner and it was all gone. If you try this be very careful with that stuff as it can both dull your paint and burn your skin if you have sensitive skin.
Hope this is helpful to ya,
Billy

Search this Thread