Welcome to the DoItYourself Forums!

To post questions, help other DIYers and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our DIY community. It's free!

94 T-Bird Oil Leak 4.6

Forum Topic Moderator

WA

12-06-03, 11:20 AM   #1  
94 T-Bird Oil Leak 4.6

Have an oil leak where the oil filter housing bolts to the engine block. The housing also looks like it includes the lower cooling hose also. The lower bolt is dripping oil while running. I am a pretty good at whrenching but this looks tough. So, is this as tough as it looks, what items should I remove to get to it, is it a gasket or o-ring, is this something I should let the pros do? If I have the pros do it any idea how many hours it will take them?

Mike
Retired Real Estate Broker
Home Remodeler
Do it Yourselfer

Sponsored Links

WV

12-06-03, 06:38 PM   #2  
Cant find any info on that to help ya out. The best thing to do is clean it up real good and see where the leak is coming from. Use some brake cleaner to clean it up and then run the car for a few minutes to see if you can pinpoint it.
I did find a TSB that says if you are using the wrong viscosity oil you can cause oil pump damage. The correct vis. is 5w30 or 10w30 for that car/engine.
It should be a gasket behind that housing, but im not sure. As far as labor..... that really depends cause I cant find anything about that housing, I cant determine labor either. Depending on accessibility...... it shouldnt be more than 1-2 hours.
Hope this is helpful to ya,
Billy

12-07-03, 01:41 PM   #3  
Its not that bad, drain the coolant and replace the gasket. Of course change the oil filter and oil.

Forum Topic Moderator

WA

12-08-03, 05:46 AM   #4  
Thanks for the help. For sure it is the housing leaking at the block, the lower bolt is driping. Tightened the bolt but it didn't slow down. It is very tight to get to.

Mike
Home Remodeler
Do it Yourselfer

Forum Topic Moderator

WA

12-11-03, 07:13 PM   #5  
Success I had my favorite shop do it. It was $200 with oil change, filter and oil press switch. Service manager said there was a lot of profanity going on. Think I saved a lot of time on the floor looking up. Thanks all for the help.

Mike
Home Remodeler
Do it Yourselfer

Search this Thread