94 T-Bird Oil Leak 4.6

Old 12-06-03, 11:20 AM
Forum Topic Moderator
94 T-Bird Oil Leak 4.6

Have an oil leak where the oil filter housing bolts to the engine block. The housing also looks like it includes the lower cooling hose also. The lower bolt is dripping oil while running. I am a pretty good at whrenching but this looks tough. So, is this as tough as it looks, what items should I remove to get to it, is it a gasket or o-ring, is this something I should let the pros do? If I have the pros do it any idea how many hours it will take them?

Sponsored Links
Old 12-06-03, 06:38 PM
Cant find any info on that to help ya out. The best thing to do is clean it up real good and see where the leak is coming from. Use some brake cleaner to clean it up and then run the car for a few minutes to see if you can pinpoint it.
I did find a TSB that says if you are using the wrong viscosity oil you can cause oil pump damage. The correct vis. is 5w30 or 10w30 for that car/engine.
It should be a gasket behind that housing, but im not sure. As far as labor..... that really depends cause I cant find anything about that housing, I cant determine labor either. Depending on accessibility...... it shouldnt be more than 1-2 hours.
Hope this is helpful to ya,
Billy

Old 12-07-03, 01:41 PM
Its not that bad, drain the coolant and replace the gasket. Of course change the oil filter and oil.

Old 12-08-03, 05:46 AM
Forum Topic Moderator
Thanks for the help. For sure it is the housing leaking at the block, the lower bolt is driping. Tightened the bolt but it didn't slow down. It is very tight to get to.

Old 12-11-03, 07:13 PM
Forum Topic Moderator
Success I had my favorite shop do it. It was $200 with oil change, filter and oil press switch. Service manager said there was a lot of profanity going on. Think I saved a lot of time on the floor looking up. Thanks all for the help.