Help with rear end

Old 12-07-03, 08:10 AM
mlee1steph
Visiting Guest
Help with rear end

Hi Everyone,
I was just in an accident yesterday and the person hit the right rear tire directly. Now the tire is bent at an angle (front of the tire points out away from the car) and I need some suggestions. This car is a 1998 Dodge Neon. What possible problem am I looking at?
I have not been able to under the car yet, but wanted to see if you all have a site that I could go to that would contain the repair manual for this car or a site that would have a good diagram of the rear end for this car. Thanks for any suggestions.
Michael

Sponsored Links
Old 12-07-03, 08:34 AM
darrell McCoy
Visiting Guest
Not much support back there, chasis damage no doubt, bent linkages maybe. Try this.
http://www.cybrrpartspro.com/cgi-win...kupResults.exe

Old 12-07-03, 08:43 AM
Not much chassis either.. Most likely a bent axle. The axle is basically just thick sheetmetal, not a conventional axle. Maybe some structural damage. Depends on the amount of impact really.
Billy

Old 12-07-03, 09:54 AM
mlee1steph
Visiting Guest
Hi Again,
I was able to get out and look under the car a few minutes ago and have determined that the Rear Lateral Arm is bent (based on the pic I saw at http://www.cybrrpartspro.com/cgi-win...kupResults.exe). By the was this is a 1995 Dodge neon, sorry about that). Anyways, I am calling parts places in our area and they don't know this part by name. Is this a part I have to get from the Dealer? or could it be under another part name. Thanks for any help.
Michael

Old 12-07-03, 10:39 AM
Could also be called a lateral link. Most likely not an aftermarket item. im betting dealer only item. If these are bent, look closely at your struts (as well as everything else). They may be damaged as well as the links attach to a knuckle that attaches to the strut.
Hope this is helpful to ya,
Billy

Old 12-07-03, 11:17 AM
darrell McCoy
Visiting Guest
Parts you need are dealer as far as I know. They can show you a diagram of the set up. Probably stock those items. You should have an alignment check also.

Old 12-07-03, 02:34 PM
It takes a very trained eye to find all the damage in that situation. It is very likely that more parts are bent under there. i guess it means you don't have insurance? An alignment at the end will tell you if you got all of it. For sure, those are dealer parts only.

Old 12-07-03, 09:05 PM
mike from nj
Visiting Guest
depending on how hard it was hit and the direction, there is likely more things bent than just the link, the link is the most obvious thing. i've seen everything possible bent before, including the strut bent a good 15 degrees, i didn't even need a straight edge for that one.

hit the salvage yard for cheap parts, i'm sure you'll find a few good 'body-wise' examples.

any tire, whether from hitting a curb or a pot-hole or a major accident, ruins the wheel bearing. it is quiet for about 100-1000 miles, but then it always comes back howling. now i always replace them with the initial repair regardless of physical appearance. while you're taking parts from the yard, take the bearing/hub assembly too.

when it finally is on the alignment rack, if it needs major adjusting to come close to specs, you missed something bent (even a millimeter bent will do this) or even the frame mounting point could be slightly twisted. this is nothing a quality body shop couldn't handle though.

let us know what you do