water temperature won't rise up

Old 12-07-03, 08:22 PM
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
water temperature won't rise up

Hi, it's 1990 cougar v6 again! Something new- temp won't go up! It takes alot longer than usual for the temp gauge to climb up to the lowest normal point, then it just sits there. After awile of driving it 'll climb another point or two and any chance it gets drops down a point. No matter what the gauge won't reach the middle of normal range which is unusual to me. Opened the radiator cap and I don't see much activity in there. When accelerated, coolant level going down lightly, when idling overflows a litle, but I don't see coolant passing thru radiator. Also coolant has some particles of deposits. About month ago I changed the hose from water tank to radiator and everything was fine so I assume it's not just rusty radiator, which is not that old at all; radiator + termostat were replaced about 3 years ago and so was the water pump. Water in radiator stays cool, upper hose feels empty and it happened within last 2-3 days. I have to go out of town on the weekend so it has to be adressed ASAP. Any suggestions,please?Is it termostat or pump or clog (since I changed radiator I didn't really flushed the sistem, and I'm very sorry about it now) . Also I noticed that past few weeks my "early morning smoking time" from the exost pipe lasted a litle longer than it used to- I don't know if ti's relevant at all. Pease,help.Any input is greatly appreciated!

Old 12-07-03, 08:50 PM
mike from nj
Visiting Guest
as long as it's not overheating while driving, this means most things are ok with the cooling system. i would replace the thermostat, it's most likely stuck open, and allowing the engine to run it's coolest all the time.

i bet your heat is weak too

Old 12-07-03, 09:05 PM
I'm in Florida, didn't use heat yet, but I'll try. My first thouth was termostat too, but I'm concerned why I don't see flow thru radiator.

Old 12-07-03, 09:10 PM
mike from nj
Visiting Guest
it could just be a slow flow, or it could be the fluid is too high to see anything. i'm not real familiar with this ford design, not all cars can you see a good flow. usually the flow is fastest when the car reaches full operating temperature (195 degrees) and the radiator opening is such that you can actually see the ends of the tubes

you might have a stuck thermostat and it's stuck partially open, like 1/2 a millimeter.

we'll see what the other have to say.

ps. it's 22.7 degrees here right now

Old 12-07-03, 09:35 PM
I have checked before many times and it's hard to miss good flow on this car. Today I looked with fllushlight and it's as quet as a pond in there . At that point gouge was one point away
from reaching the middle of normal range but I could put my finger in the water and comfortably KEEP it there! I checked the oil
and the dipstick was hot while the water is just warm.

Old 12-08-03, 12:22 AM
I think you looking more into this than you need to. Sounds like a simple stuck t-stat.

Take care of the obvious, about the only thing that can cause a cooling system along time to reach normal operating temp is the thermostat.

You will have better results with the OEM thermostat as a replacement.

Old 12-08-03, 05:38 PM
Thanks, Mike & Toyotaman. I'll do just that. Hope that's all it needs .

Old 12-09-03, 07:38 AM
bubinga1
Visiting Guest
i would replace the thermostat, it's most likely stuck open, and allowing the engine to run it's coolest all the time.
Sure, 1st thing to change!

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description: