Jeep Cherokee Headlight replacement

Old 12-08-03, 09:57 AM
snissors
Visiting Guest
Jeep Cherokee Headlight replacement

Hello.

I'm about to buy a replacement headlamp for my 1999 Jeep Cherokee. Not much guidance in the owner's manual, other than "remove these screws, pull out the lamp, and disconnect the wire connector". Manual also mentions to replace with type "H 6054" bulbs.

1) Anyone know of any hang-ups I might run into in trying to access and/or change the bulb?

2) Any recommendations on bulb brand/options within the H 6054 type? Online, I've found:

Sylvania H6054ST - "Silverstar" Halogens @ $19.98 each
Sylvania H6054LL - Rectangular "Long Life" Halogens @ $14.00 ea
Sylvania H6054 - Rectangular Halogens @ $9.00 each

Thanks!

Old 12-08-03, 01:45 PM
darrell McCoy
Visiting Guest
instructions in your manual are sufficient. Go slow and watch how you remove screws, you shouldnt have a problem on these sealed beams. I would use the same type light if at all possible, I dont like to mix and match.

Old 12-08-03, 08:17 PM
jimmymc
Visiting Guest
Cherokee Sport or Grand Cherokee? Sport is pretty straight forward...Grand Cherokee on the other hand can be tough.

jimmymc

Old 12-10-03, 01:34 PM
snissors
Visiting Guest
It's the Cherokee Sport.

I replaced both headlights, even though only one of them was not working. Figured it would be better to keep both the same, like you said.

Anyway, it was pretty easy. I only ran into a couple of problems:

1) The screws were quite "weathered", and loosening/removal of the screws was difficult.

2) There is a little plastic "retainer" that slips over the connection where the new sealed beam plugs in. I'm new to this, but to me it looked like it was meant to keep the headlight connection from coming unplugged. For some reason, I could not get the retainers to snap back into place. I hope the connection doesn't come loose.

Old 12-10-03, 02:35 PM
D
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
Good job if it comes loose you know where to look anyhow.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description: