Crankshaft pulley removal

Old 12-08-03, 06:19 PM
Crankshaft pulley removal

Sorry if this is a duplicate...but i didn't see my other post.

'90 Geo Tracker 5 speed 4WD 1.6L 134K

I've got a major leak from the water pump & am going to replace the gasket & pump. To get to this you've gotta remove the timing belt cover & to remove the timing belt cover, the crankshaft pulley must come off. There are mount bolts & a center bolt.

Questions:

1) Are the mount bolts allen wrench bolts?...I couldn't find a socket to fit the outside of the head.

2) Where do I find a spanner tool? The book has this tool (& no part #) listed as how to remove the center bolt. It's a plate with a handle & holes in the face to mount the plate.

Sponsored Links
Old 12-08-03, 07:28 PM
mike from nj
Visiting Guest
the small bolts might be 'inverted torx' some engines in some cars use them for some unknown reason. sometimes you can use a 12 point socket to get them out, or you can buy a set of them from pepboys for cheap.

the main center bolt is tricky but not impossible without 'special tools'

put your ratchet on the bolt, with it set up in the loosen direction. now place the ratchet firmly on something solid (like the frame) with the spark disabled, tap the ignition key to bump the engine, the ratchet will hit the frame and the engine's rotation will loosen the bolt.

reinstall: put it into 4wd, e-brake on as tight as it will go, an assisstant holding the brakes as tight as possible, trans in 4th gear. now the crank is locked. torque the center bolt as tight as humanly possible, or at least to specs. if it ever loosens up, it will cause expensive damage.

let us know how it goes

is quark as in S.T.

Old 12-09-03, 07:43 AM
bubinga1
Visiting Guest
good Advise mike.

Quark, I take it you don't have ascess to a air compressor and impact wrench?
thanks, Tony D.

Old 12-09-03, 07:30 PM
Thanks for the reply's. But I'm a little uncertain about knocking the center bolt off. If that rachet slips, then I could end up damaging the edges of the center bolt. Then I would really need a special tool. Is a spanner tool that hard to come by? No-one at any parts shops even know what I'm talking about. I've searched the net & can't find it...at least not the type that are pictured in the book.

Has anyone removed a crankshaft center bolt like this? Is it dummy proof?, b/c if not I'd rather not gamble at all.

Quark, I take it you don't have ascess to a air compressor and impact wrench?
Nah, I'm a solo do-it-your-selfer. I thought I was doing good by having a torque wrench left over from changing a sheered flywheel key on my lawnmower.

is quark as in S.T.
What's S.T.? Guess the answer to your question is probably not.

Old 12-09-03, 09:40 PM
mike from nj
Visiting Guest
it is a little scary the first time, i've showed plenty of people how to do it, and they're not afraid anymore. make sure you have a secure fitting socket, a 6 point one is best. if there's room, a wrench will work too. i actually hold it tight with my hand against the frame, and it's loose before you know it. the longer the ratchet---the better, a breaker bar is best

i'm sure that spanner wrench is a 'dealer only' item, maybe you could find a cooperative one to lend it to you, if they even know where it is, i'm sure all they use is an impact gun.

have you thought about making one, go to home depot, buy a piece of 1/8inch by 1 inch by 3 feet long steel. drill two holes in it that line up with the smaller bolts in the pulley and tighten it with those bolts or longer ones. it should hold.

everyone knows 'quark' is a ferengi from Star Trek

Old 12-09-03, 10:02 PM
bubinga1
Visiting Guest
Has anyone removed a crankshaft center bolt like this? .
I have done it many times at home before I had an air compressor.
Is it dummy proof?, b/c if not I'd rather not gamble at all
Well I guess you never know what can happen, but you should be safe. Get the breaker bar and socket on there nice and square and turn the motor till the breaker bar is solid anagist the frame.

Old 12-12-03, 06:33 PM
Ok, so its dumb question time. Please forgive me, but if I muff up my crankshaft pulley center bolt, all will not be well.

1) So, a breaker bar, is that a large rachet?

2) When I crank to remove the center bolt, "by disabling the spark" do I just remove the wires from the plugs or the plugs all together? And is it just one, or all 4? Then when I tap the engine, does the breaker bar need to hit the frame or can it already be wedged?

3) When I'm reinstalling the center bolt, what exactly is the emergency brake doing? It can't be holding the crankshaft, so how do I tighten it? Is 4WD & 4th gear holding it? I'm not going to have a helper, so can this be done by myself?

Again, sorry if these are dumb questions, but I'd rather have to refill the radiator every trip, than to brake my ride.

Thanks

Old 12-13-03, 02:26 AM
I'd hesitate bumping the starter to twist off the center bolt/nut with a wrench hanging off. If the thing slips and swings around when the thing starts to spin, you can easily take out everything near and around the area like your radiator. Or, you'll end up rounding out the nut like you say. A REAL bad weekend in the making....

Impact wrench works assuming you have access to the crankshaft nut. Your A/C condenser is likely in the way if not your radiator, and if your engine is transversely mounted, you'll need to either **** your wheels way out, remove it, and or need an extension bar.

Safest is to stick the car in 4th/5th gear, block the wheels, set the e-brake, and yank on it using a 18" or bigger 1/2" breaker bar--it's just a fancy name for an long handled ratchet without the ratchet--It's about $20 at sears. Expect to do some decent yanking cuz the car is gonna rock, and you'll be able to chirp the tires before the nut breaks loose.

If the pulley doesn't drop off after the nut comes off (there might be a few more small screws holding it), a trick I've used to pull it off is using a 1/2" socket that just a tad smaller than the diameter of the crankshaft that is exposed through the center of the pulley and a gear puller.

Stick the pointed screw part of the gear puller into the center of the ratchet-end of the socket while centered on the crankshaft, and the place the puller pieces on the lip of the pulley. then slowly pull the pulley off by tightening the puller by hand or ratchet. The socket gives you enough reach into the pulley since it's recessed.

Since you're in there, you might as well plan on putting in a new timing belt. Statistically speaking, the existing belt will probably break before your new pump will fail, and if so, you'll be doing all of this fun business all over again.

Search this Thread