1992 Lexus SC400 Automatic transmission reverse problem

Old 12-09-03, 08:00 AM
Dorseyj
Visiting Guest
1992 Lexus SC400 Automatic transmission reverse problem

Car goes into reverse after it is driven a couple of miles. Fluid level is fine. transmission doesnt make any noises when shifting into reverse. Is the transmission about to die?

Sponsored Links
Old 12-09-03, 08:38 AM
more info please

do you mean it has no reverse until after you have driven it a few miles? do you mean that after you are driving it just shifts into reverse on it's own?? tell us exactly how you are operating the vehicle. what does reverse "feel" like after it's there...is it solid like you could back up a hill? is it mushy, slippy...does the engine rev up but the car doesn't feel like it's pulling?? trans problems are really hard to decipher by description without feeling them. many trans probs are really engine performance related. how many miles on the car? when was the last time the trans was serviced and why? sorry to be so picky, but if i can help save you money, i will....that's an expensive tranny to rebuild and even more expensive to replace with a new one.

Old 12-09-03, 10:47 AM
Dorseyj
Visiting Guest
What I mean is the reverse works only after I have driven it for a couple of miles. At first start the reverse does not work at all. It does not engage and the R indicator light in the dash does not light. It is the only gear that does not work. After I have driven for a couple of miles I can then put the car in reverse and I can feal the gear engage and the indicator light comes on. The gear feels normal " like I can drive uphill backwards"

Old 12-10-03, 05:03 AM
mileage...

...you didn't post the mileage and that sometimes is helpful...it sound like age related impending failure to me. as the seals age in an automatic they harden. when they lose their pliability, they don't seal well and so slipping and loss of gear ranges can occur...driving them gently for a while warms them up and helps with the sealing so then things seem to return to normal. in reality, a little damage is occuring each time it's used and eventually, it craps out completely. you ought to have a good trans tech drive it (preferably someone with alot of import experience) and verify what's going on as this is just a SWAG based on a little info. cold weather also accelerates this decline...so baby it first thing when you drive it...if you rawhide it, it'll be gone before you know it. good luck...PS...i hope i'm wrong and it's really something simple!! get that first and/or second opinion

Search this Thread