Welcome to the DoItYourself Forums!

To post questions, help other DIYers and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our DIY community. It's free!

Timing Belt Civic 97

Visiting Guest

12-09-03, 09:08 AM   #1  
baggs
Timing Belt Civic 97

Hi

I have a 1997 Honda Civic. The dealer where I have it serviced says I need to replace my timing belt at a cost of $379.00 + taxes.
They say this should be done every 4 years or 96,000 kms. I currenlty have 100,000 kms, and have yet to get it done.

Should I be changing my timing belt?

Thanks for any help

Sponsored Links

12-09-03, 11:31 AM   #2  
Yes, because if it is an interference engine and the belt breaks while you are driving it you will be looking at thousands, not hundreds to get it fixed. Go to Gates belts web site and look up your engine to see if it is an interference engine. I think they have the info there.

VA

12-09-03, 02:44 PM   #3  
Pretty sure it *is* an interference engine...

... which means horrific damage if the belt breaks while driving.

The $379 price seems a bit high, understandable if the dealer quoted it. An independent mechanic can do just as good a job for less.

12-09-03, 03:53 PM   #4  
Is the dealer including the water pump in the price?What is the dealers warranty on repairs?You also state kms are you in Canada asking for US dollars prices.If so I don't know the current exchange rate to make an honest appraisel.

Search this Thread