'98 Taurus door ajar/power locks problem

Old 12-09-03, 11:35 AM
LearningMan
Visiting Guest
Question '98 Taurus door ajar/power locks problem

Hello,

I have '98 Ford Taurus SE with the V6 and all power.

Today, I went to get in the car and noticed that the indicator light on the left side of the dash was showing there was a door ajar. I closed all the doors and the trunk to make sure, but the light will not go off. I also noticed that at the same time when the car is running and I hit the power door lock button on the drivers side, the doors lock for about 3 seconds and then unlock on their own. If the car is stoppped and turned off they will stay locked. These two problems just started today. Im guessing this is an indication for something?? Anyone know what started to cause this and what I can check? It seems the two are related.

Thanks
Dwayne

Sponsored Links
Old 12-09-03, 11:58 AM
Old 12-09-03, 07:30 PM
Spray the latches like JOE said, Spray them with WD40 the switches are in the bottom of the latch so spray them good. Do all doors.

Old 12-10-03, 05:09 AM
LearningMan
Visiting Guest
OK, thanks for the advice. I have only had the car for about 2 months and when I bought it there wasn't an owners manual, all I got was the service interval book. It makes sense though. Last night the light went off and the doors would remain locked. My wife said it would do it off and on.

So does that mean that the switches in the doors are tied to the door locking circuit and when the light comes on showing door ajar, that that's the reason the locks pop back open?

I will give it a try today and post back. Thanks for the advice

Dwayne

Old 12-11-03, 04:32 AM
It's got 2 differnt problems, The door ajar light and dome lights on are the switches in the doors, The door locks problem could be numerous things. Does this car have any kind of theft protection that was add on (AFTERMARKET)? Check this first. If not look for wiring problems,lock and unlock relay problems.

Old 12-11-03, 09:25 AM
LearningMan
Visiting Guest
Hello. Well thanks for everyones advice. It was the door switches. I sprayed them all real good with some WD40 and the problem went away. It seems that if the car detects there is a door open, the door locks cant be activated unless you manually push them down. Just out of curiosity I opened the door and tried to lock them and they pop right back up. Close the door and they stay locked. I talked to the service guys at ford and was told that it was some kind of safety feature, but they didn't elaborate. So when the door switch was sticking, naturally it thought the door was opening, hence the locks not staying locked. :-)

Dwayne

Old 12-11-03, 12:30 PM
Stacy
Visiting Guest
Doors not staying locked - I have a Taurus also - the driver door will not lock if the key is in the ignition and the driver door is open, or closed--so you can't lock yourself out. I also had the same problem with the door ajar warning, which also does not allow the driver side door to lock while the ignition is turned on-that was bad when you had to drive through a nasty neighborhood. As far as the interior light not going out--had that too! I just pulled the fuse-no big deal. Found out that it wasn't as necessary as I once thought.