Welcome to the DoItYourself Forums!

To post questions, help other DIYers and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our DIY community. It's free!

1998 Hyundai Tiburon Noise?

MA

12-09-03, 04:57 PM   #1  
1998 Hyundai Tiburon Noise?

I own a 1998 Hyundai Tiburon. Recently (before this huge snow storm New England had), my car has started to make this strange "vibration" noise. It starts at about 30 MpH and is constant (doesn't waver) with acceleration/deceleration. It sounds like I'm driving over grooved pavement, or over a metal grated bridge. The sound doesn't go away when I press the clutch in. I just had all 4 new Parelli aqua-tred directional tires balanced and a 4 wheel alignment to see if this would eliminate the problem. No improvement. I pulled on each tire, and there is no movement. There is no apparent scalloping (per my own inspection and the guys at the tire store). The CV boots are intact. The sound doesn't change even when I go into a corner. I can't locate the source of the sound (front or back...it's in surround sound). I can feel a slight vibration through the front floor board. I'm stumpted. Any clues???

Sponsored Links

WV

12-09-03, 05:55 PM   #2  
Just looked to see if there were any TSB's related to your described conditions. I only saw one, but it didnt really match 100%. Did anything happen just before this started? New tires? Hit a curb? Tire rotation? Anything to give us a clue here.
Thanks,
Billy

MA

12-09-03, 06:05 PM   #3  
No, absolutely nothing significant happened. I jumped into the car to drive to work one morning about 2 weeks ago and it just started making that low, loud humming like noise.

WV

12-09-03, 06:08 PM   #4  
Well im afraid this is one of those things you are gonna have to have someone look at. If its not the tires and you cant tell there is anything wrong with the suspension then its gonna have to have some hands on by a technician.
Good Luck,
Billy

MA

12-09-03, 06:25 PM   #5  
Thanks anyway Billy. I'm on my father's account here ..he was the one who suggested I post this question (no man would ever be caught driving such a girly car). The guys at the tire place suggested that it might be the wheel bearings. Wouldn't that make more of a metal-on-metal/scraping noise? It's probably a defective tire and those cheap jerks don't want to fess-up and replace it.

Visiting Guest

12-09-03, 07:10 PM   #6  
KurtDixon
"(no man would ever be caught driving such a girly car)."

LOL that cracked me up. I have seen many men driving VW beetles (the ultimate chick car lol.) My dad drove a Mazda RX-7 back in the day (not sure on its "girly" status.) I still haven't figured out what makes a "chick car"? I mean, everyone knows grandpa cars are gold, big and square (like buicks and things like that, not many 75 yr olds drive BMWs or Mustangs or cars like that lol.) Everyone knows a mom car is a minivan or a PT-cruiser. But what makes a car "girly"?

Visiting Guest

12-09-03, 09:21 PM   #7  
mike from nj
does it have the factory rims on it, or something like '20s' aftermarket rims will usually eat a wheel bearing or two----and fast

maybe put it safely up on jackstands, and have someone drive it to that speed. sometimes you can find near where the noise is coming from that way, or eliminate other things.

wheel bearing do hum first, then as they wear out more, then stuff starts scraping.

the proper way, is to take the axle out and the brakes and rotors off and feel the actual bearing spin.

short of that, you're guessing, like already stated

rx7 is by no means a girly car, especially a turbo one.

girly cars that come to mind, 4cyl--fwd-automatics, or a mustang 4cylinder or even a 5.0L convertible and automatic trans.

anything slow, automatic, or no options

Visiting Guest

12-09-03, 09:59 PM   #8  
KurtDixon
Slow and auto eh...lol. Maybe it wasn't an RX-7 then? Or maybe it was and I was mistaken about its girly potential.
I don't like slow cars I would rather have a rust bucket POS with a huge V8-300+ HP than a little shiny 100HP car

VA

12-10-03, 09:52 AM   #9  
i'll bet a dollar to a donut...

...that it's a wheel bearing...try driving it at a constant speed and gently swerving on a lonely road with good pavement. if the noise changes and/or goes away, it's almost certain it's a bearing. I've also had them make the noise as the vehicle moves up and down (the angle of the axle shaft changes and causes it to make noise). the hard part to this is pin pointing which corner the noise is coming from...it helps to get a second person to ride and/or drive and see if you both agree. it's likely that you'll ahve to have someone do the job for you...but at least there is peace of mind...good luck!

MA

12-10-03, 02:39 PM   #10  
I'm the father....

As suggested I took a ride with my daughter to try isolate the sourse..to no avail...I had her on the highway and turn right and left to see if the sound would dissipate into either corner...no dice!...I first thought it was a hole in a resonator or muffler but the sound is speed related and doesn't change with an increase or decrease of the rpm's.... I then thought maybe it was like a plastic part vibrating in the wind like a wind instrument, I looked under as best I could and didn't see anything hanging. I opened the window and heard nothing...inside it was difficult to say where it was comming from...
As for the RX-7...definitely not a chick car!

Visiting Guest

12-10-03, 05:41 PM   #11  
KurtDixon
Good then, because that is the car my dad had, I asked him
But on some joke I got, it said "you may a ricer if....................................#21. if you have ever owned a Mazda RX-7. But I don't see how that is a rice car when RX-7s came out in the 70s/80s, before the time of all this ridiculous car tuning.

VA

12-11-03, 04:52 AM   #12  
i'm still betting on a bearing

...and i believe that Mike's suggestion about taking it apart and feeling it in your hand is the only sure way to know...stop in and see your tech and have him/her drive it and offer their insight

MA

12-11-03, 11:13 AM   #13  
Check with the Tec...

Most definitely will be doing that...
Thanks.

MA

12-12-03, 01:34 PM   #14  
this is the daughter

I took the "girly car" (5-speed, 140 hp) to the mechanic, test drove it with him to locate the sound. Like I said earlier, it's in stereo all around me. He said it was most likely a wheel bearing, but wouldn't know which one until it's up on the lift (he's checking them all). I have 14 inch stock rims. There's no way 20" rims are gonna fit on that little car (bling-bling).
Recently replaced the timing belt and internal water pump (unbolted one side of the engine mounts to get to it!!!). The foreign cars do a great job of utilizing every inch of space, but man, what a pain in the neck it is to work on! You can't find anything, and once you do, you can't reach it, and there's no space to work with it. The only thing that kills me about this car is that all of the parts have to be ordered (never in stock) and the parts are so expensive. Other than that, it's been reliable zippy little thing.
I think my next car will most definately be an American made car.

-Joyce

Search this Thread