Welcome to the DoItYourself Forums!

To post questions, help other DIYers and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our DIY community. It's free!

Check Engine light won't turn off!

Visiting Guest

12-10-03, 01:48 PM   #1  
Spursfan
Check Engine light won't turn off!

My friend has a 1995 Mitsubishi Galant LS 2.4 L, Automatic Transmission with O/D , just like mine. The car looks great and drives even greater. The only problem is that for the last 2 years, the 'Check Engine' light has come on, and stays on whenever the engine is on or running. This car has no leaks and numerous visits to the mechanic indicate that there is no mechanical fault with the car....everything checks out(or so they say). She saw a mechanic the first time that light came on in Dec 2001. It has stayed on all through and even though the mechanics say the car is fine, and regular service is maintained without fail(oil, filters, plugs at recommended intervals), the light still remains on after 2 years. The car only hit 90 thousand miles this past summer and still drives wonderfully(better than my car, same make, same model, more miles, a few leaks, but no 'Check engine' light....heh heh!).
Could one of you gurus out there recommend what to do. Even at the dealership, they told her there was nothing wrong with the car. I read the owner's manual and it says that this light would come on in the event of faulty engine operation or if the car does not meet emission standards. The car has passed an emission inspection twice since the light came on!! So what could it be, faulty sensor? Everything on this car works fine, and after seeing more than one mechanic, I am convinced they were not lying to her. Since the light has stayed on for a couple years, I am sure there has to be another explanation. In my layman's understanding I cannot guess what could be wrong. Suggestions please.

Sponsored Links

12-10-03, 02:32 PM   #2  
Get the car scanned and give us the code #s and we will go from there.Are you sure it's the check engine light and not one of the maintenance reminder lights?

Visiting Guest

12-10-03, 03:29 PM   #3  
Spursfan
I'll go get the codes

I checked and the light clearly says 'Check Engine'. As a matter of fact, the car had it's usual full maintenance yesterday (oil, plugs, filters), so I'm pretty sure it is not the maintenance light coz it has been on for 2 years, she says. I'll go get you the codes and we'll go from there.

WV

12-10-03, 06:03 PM   #4  
It might appear fine, but there is something amiss if that light is on. As Davo recommended get the codes and we can go from there. Alot of shops... especially independent shops... do not maintain all the cables for older vehicles. This could be the reason that no one can tell you why the light is on in the first place.
Billy

Visiting Guest

12-11-03, 07:55 PM   #5  
Spursfan
I think I figured it out

Hey guys, I just got back from my friend's house and was going to take the car in to get the code read. Before I set off, I remembered that she told me about having exceeded the maintenance timelines by a couple thousand miles the first time the lights came on. So after full and complete service including replacing belts, and all, no one had cared to reset the computer! So I simply reset it and guess what, the light functions normally. It'll illuminate once the car comes on but promptly goes off as it should when the car is running. I am glad that unlike Stacy(the girl with the 98 Taurus with a 'Check engine' posting), we have not spent a dime and have resolved the light!!
My friend is ecstatic that the light is now off. Thanks guys, for empowering commonfolk like us!!

12-12-03, 04:15 AM   #6  
I'm glad it's fixed but I did ask you if it was the maintenance reminder light.Good deal.

Search this Thread