Help-Too much transmission fluid?

Old 12-12-03, 04:55 AM
98strat
Visiting Guest
Unhappy Help-Too much transmission fluid?

I hope you can help. My husband repaired a hole in the transmission pan on our 99 Taurus. The car was not going in reverse and was barely moving because most of the fluid leaked out. Now he has put in 9 qts of trans fluid. The auto place we went to said it holds 12.3 (including torque) whatever that is.?.? He thought he would put in the 9 qts and check it and when he did it is about 1 inch over the cross section on the dipstick. He bought a hand pump yesterday but has not drained any fluid and is at work. I need to take baby to doctor and don't know if car will be ok to run to town. We are about 6 miles from doc's office but we are on a mountain. Will this hurt car? Will it foam? Not sure whether to go anywhere without asking.

Old 12-12-03, 09:07 AM
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
It will likely foam up being that far over.

Generally the transmission pan holds about 4 quarts, so there's a lot to be removed.

You can use the hand pump, or take off a transmission cooler line at the radiator and start the engine.

Have the cooler line in a gallon container; it will spray out quite quickly.

But..... if your baby needs to go to the doctor, and you don't feel like messing around with the fluid, then just drive it. Baby versus transmission... I'd go for the baby any day. Just have a cell phone with you in case the transmission stops working.

I believe foamed up tranny fluid can be drained and replaced if needed. (Once you get the car home!)

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description: