Lock cylinder on Ford Taurus

Old 12-11-03, 11:42 AM
butterbean
Visiting Guest
Unhappy Lock cylinder on Ford Taurus

Hi out there! I'm a lady in distress!! I have a 1995 Ford Taurus that has locked up on me. The switch is in the lock position and the key can be removed okay. The problem is that the key will not turn in any direction which also means the steering wheel and gear shifter are locked. I've tried several different keys and everything I can think of. I rocked the car back and forth to make sure it wasn't just in a bind, have messed with the steering wheel, etc. After reading about the person with the 95 Geo Prizm, I decided my problem must be in the ignition cylinder. Problem is, I can't figure out how to get the old one out. I've removed the covers from the column and have access to it, but, can't find the small hole that I should be able to push in on a pin to release the cylinder. Are most of these alike or is Ford different? Can someone out there tell me how to get the ignition cylinder out of a 95 Taurus???? I've located a new cylinder at a Ford dealership for $46 and am hoping not to have to spend any money on labor for this. I keep thinking I'm missing something simple!! Help!!!
Thanks,
Butterbean

Sponsored Links
Old 12-11-03, 12:27 PM
I think the cylinder removal is the same. Problem is you have to get the cylinder to turn ( I believe its the same, acc position)

Then there is a pin to push in to remove. I had the one out of my '93 Mark VIII and thats the way it is.

Old 12-11-03, 12:34 PM
butterbean
Visiting Guest
Thanks for replying! I can't get the switch to turn any direction! The accessory on my car is after the lock position (back toward the steering wheel). It won't budge any direction. Any suggestions? I don't want to force it and break something I shouldn't!
Thanks!
Butterbean

Old 12-11-03, 01:34 PM
Thats right, I forgot about acc is back. I think the position you need is "off" . That still does you no good because you cannot turn it.

On other locks I have drilled out the guts of the cly to get the pin to release.

Old 12-11-03, 06:31 PM
The cylinder has to be turned from the lock position to either off or on, I forget which but for sure cannot be removed in the lock position without drilling out the pin. You have to be careful when drilling because the pin is harder metal than the surrounding aluminum housing so be carefull not to slide into the aluminum. If you center punch the pin to keep the drill from sliding off center, you'll be able to drill the pin and remove the lock cylinder.

Old 12-13-03, 04:44 AM
The key has to be in the RUN position.

Old 12-13-03, 08:44 AM
butterbean
Visiting Guest
Thanks for all the help. I finally managed to get it to unlock......not sure how.......and got it to the acc. position. Everything was downhill from there and now I'm up and running again! Thanks!
Butterbean

Old 12-13-03, 12:05 PM
Good Job!

Did you replace the cylinder?

Old 12-13-03, 12:29 PM
BBman
Visiting Guest
Make sure you replace it. it will happen again.

Old 12-13-03, 12:42 PM
butterbean
Visiting Guest
I did replace the cylinder.......I didn't want the same thing to happen again and end up stranded somewhere.