Welcome to the DoItYourself Forums!

To post questions, help other DIYers and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our DIY community. It's free!

carb cleaner vs throttle body cleaner?

12-12-03, 12:53 AM   #1  
carb cleaner vs throttle body cleaner?

anyone know what's the difference between carb cleaner and throttle body cleaner?

why can't one use carb cleaner to clean out an EFI throttle body? the ingredients are essentially the same--acetone, toleune, and/or xylene (sp??) Both are supposedly cat-safe and o2-sensor safe.

price is higher for throttle body cleaner...is that because there some special added vitamins and minerals? or is this a marketing gimmick since hardly anyone is carburated these days...

Sponsored Links

12-12-03, 03:18 AM   #2  
You didn't state what vehicle you talking about?

Some throttle bodys have a coating that will dissolve if the wrong cleaner is used (Ford I think ?), ruining it.

WV

12-12-03, 04:14 AM   #3  
Larry is exactly correct. Fords throttle bodies are coated and the agressive agents in those solvents will dissolve the finish and ruin the throttle body.
Billy

12-12-03, 06:24 PM   #4  
Those coated Ford throttle body's aren't supposed to be cleaned at all. An Induction service using BG cleaner is safe.

12-13-03, 01:43 AM   #5  
thanks folks,

I have an 84 Toyota Celica, 22RE engine, 195K miles. Doesn't look like anything special inside the bore, but I can't see much beyond the throttle plate. There's a thin film of black deposit all over. I doubt it is causing any issues, but I was contemplating just hosing the whole thing down with some spray for the first time.

Is Ford the only exception?

I guess if I get the throttle body cleaner, I can't go wrong, regardless of engine...

WV

12-13-03, 04:36 AM   #6  
I use Carb Clean by CRC at work. It is way better than the crap non-chlorinated brake clean we buy. At another shop we had the GOOD brake clean and carb/throttle body cleaner (cant remember the name) They were virtually the same.
Fords are the only ones that I have heard of with the coated throttle bodies. I do alot of fuel injection services with the BG cleaners and havent had a problem yet.
You certainly cant hurt it by cleaning the deposits out of the throttle bodie..... Best bet is do it whil it is running and you will clean more cause the air will pull it into the engine and take the deposits out the tailpipe.
Hope this is helpful to ya,
Billy

12-13-03, 05:29 AM   #7  
Just be careful around throttle shaft bushings. Carb clean can make the throttle shaft stick. If you do clean around the throttle shaft, use a good penetrating oil on the throttle shaft and work it in good to avoid sticking shaft, stiff peddle.

Search this Thread