Welcome to the DoItYourself Forums!

To post questions, help other DIYers and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our DIY community. It's free!

car doors freezing shut

Visiting Guest

12-12-03, 09:40 PM   #1  
red210c
car doors freezing shut

Hi;
I have a 94 Cavalier that the doors keep freezing shut on when the temp drops below freezing and I was hoping sombody could recommend a method or product that might help me eliminate this problem?

Thanks;
Red

Sponsored Links
Visiting Guest

12-12-03, 10:29 PM   #2  
red210c
car doors freezing shut

Hi;
I have a 94 Cavalier that the doors keep freezing shut on when the temp drops below freezing and I was hoping sombody could recommend a method or product that might help me eliminate this problem?

Thanks;
Red

12-12-03, 11:14 PM   #3  
You could try spraying all the rubber weathersrtips with silicone spray.

Nothing much is going to help if there is a sudden change in weather. If it's wet out and all of a sudden the temp drops this is going to happen

12-13-03, 05:30 AM   #4  
a bucket of hot water should do the trick

12-13-03, 03:19 PM   #5  
Hot water will get it open but be careful. Only use it in as a last resort. Hot water can crack windows. Then it will re-freeze & you will be right back where you started.

If you use hot water you need to then get the car inside to thaw out. Dry the door gaskets and a good dose of spray silicone on the gaskets will do wonders. This is a good preventative measure even if you aren't having a problem. I have seen door gaskets ripped off the door from opening a frozen door.

Also give the locks a shot with the little tube inserted into the key hole to prevent the locks from freezing.

WV

12-13-03, 04:13 PM   #6  
I have heard of people putting petroleum based or silicone lubricants on the rubber wind seals around the doors to prevent this from happening.
Hope this helps,
Billy

Visiting Guest

12-13-03, 04:31 PM   #7  
crt8
Hi red210c,your local G.M. can supply you with silicone emulsion which helps to preserve your weather stripping aswell as stopping it from frezzing to the doors.

12-13-03, 05:40 PM   #8  
The water is what freezes. If you get it dried out thoroughly, it shouldn't freeze any more. The silicone lubrication on all the rubber is a good idea too.

Visiting Guest

12-14-03, 02:55 AM   #9  
red210c
Thank you all so much for your responses. All of the advice is very much appreciated. I'll let you all know how it comes out after the current cold snap in this area has passed.
Thanks again,
Red

Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation

12-14-03, 06:59 PM   #10  
I had the same problem years ago with an 88 Isuzu pickup. I used a hair dryer along the edges of the door for a couple minutes and the door thawed. Another trick that may work is sticking the key in the door if it is all metal and lighting the key head with a cigarette lighter. GOOD LUCK!!!

Last edited by billys68ss; 12-19-03 at 08:49 PM.

Search this Thread