Welcome to the DoItYourself Forums!

To post questions, help other DIYers and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our DIY community. It's free!

Dodge Ram D-150 Master Cylinder

12-14-03, 08:59 AM   #1  
Dodge Ram D-150 Master Cylinder

I have a 1984 Dodge D-150 with a 318 A/T, the problem is that my master cylinder has gone out 3 times in about 5 months. The 1st one was the original so didn't think about it, went to Auto Zone and bought new one and put the new one on fine for about 6 weeks went bad. Went to Auto Zone again exchange it, put another new one on and it went bad after about 3 months. Guy at parts store asked if brake lines could be contaminated from wrong fulid, I told him no I was the one who did work and used brake fulid. Then asked if maybe hole in brake line, leaking somewhere and I said no I check them and brake fulid was full. When I say master cylinder going bad the brakes go all the way to floor and I got to pump them up to stop and brake light comes on. Every time after I changed master cylinder and bled brakes they have been great till all of sudden start going to floor again.

Sponsored Links

12-14-03, 09:51 AM   #2  
Nothing personal but quality comes to mind.Chain store parts can be substandard and inexpensive.Another possibility is a vacuum leak in the booster sucking the fluid from the master cylinder.I bought a master cylinder from a chain store and changed it 3 times then went to a name brand and it still works.Chain stores sell alot of parts hoping to never see the car/customer again like if the vehicle is being repaired to be sold.Then the warranty is done.They do sell quality parts also at a higher price.A new Chrysler sold master cylinder may be what you need.New not rebuilt.

12-14-03, 11:45 AM   #3  
Re: Dodge Ram D-150 Master Cylinder

Originally posted by SMJ7039
. went to Auto Zone and bought new one and put the new one on fine for about 6 weeks went bad. Went to Auto Zone again exchange it, put another new one on and it went bad after about 3 months.
That's your problem

Buy NEW not remanufactured in a name brand.

WV

12-14-03, 02:01 PM   #4  
When you say the master cylinder went bad, what do you mean? Was the fluid all gone? Was it still full and just no longer functional? Sounds like the problem is elsewhere. Granted the Auto Zone part could be bad, but not normally twice in a row.
Let me know,
Billy

12-14-03, 04:02 PM   #5  
Like in original posting, brake fulid was full. Brakes just going to floor have to pump them to get truck to stop good. Thanks

12-14-03, 06:26 PM   #6  
Originally posted by billys68ss
. Granted the Auto Zone part could be bad, but not normally twice in a row.
Billy
Why not? It lasted 6 weeks. Buy quality, have less problems.

Search this Thread