Welcome to the DoItYourself Forums!

To post questions, help other DIYers and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our DIY community. It's free!

1990 ford taurus not charging

NY

12-14-03, 07:47 PM   #1  
1990 ford taurus not charging

i have a 1990 ford taurus station wagon, i have replaced alternater with a new one that i had tested and is working, it has a voltage regulator thats new, battery is ok. fuses ok, car starts but battery light on instrument panel stays on constantly. i was wondering if you knew about a common charging problem with this vehical. starts fine but needs jump after driving.

Sponsored Links
Visiting Guest

12-14-03, 08:31 PM   #2  
boflaade
Assuming the battery is installed the correct way, ( not the first time a battery has been installed with + to-) check the wires from the alternator. Physicaly trace them to determine if one isn't broken or grounded by a bad covering. If the battery has corrosion or the terminals are loose then that would be the start of the problem.

WV

12-15-03, 04:21 AM   #3  
You say the alternator is working.... What is the voltage readings? If it is just putting out 12 volts then you still have a charging problem. Possibly a cable or fusible link problem. Does not necessarily have to be the alternator. How old is the battery? It could have a dead cell and wont HOLD a charge.
Some things to think about and check.
Hope this is helpful to ya,
Billy

NY

12-15-03, 10:13 AM   #4  
alternater is new , i had it tested on the car & bench tested. bench test is ok, when they test on car it says charging low. checked wires to altenator & fuseable links with an ohmeter everything checks out ok, battery cables test ok,battery holds charge with battery charger and starts repeatly in driveway, but when i drive car it wont start after i shut it off. battery light stays consisantly lit. battery terminals are also clean.

NY

12-30-03, 06:24 PM   #5  
ford taurus not charging

problem solved ,it was a wire going to the voltage regulatar had a short in it. battery light is out now. thanks to all for your help

Search this Thread