Welcome to the DoItYourself Forums!

To post questions, help other DIYers and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our DIY community. It's free!

Wiring Harness / Diagram

Visiting Guest

12-14-03, 11:27 PM   #1  
Zanoesus
Wiring Harness / Diagram 1991 Sentra 180i

Hi Guys - Have a 1991 Nissan Sentra 180i and replaced the Engine with inported Jap Engine ( 180i ) but the wiring colours changed and I'm stuck. Please help with providing a Diagram and some tips regarding the ECU.

Please Please Help ! This car is been standing since Nov 2002

Any Links welcome !
Please Guys !
Help Me !

Last edited by Zanoesus; 12-15-03 at 04:10 AM.

Sponsored Links
Visiting Guest

12-15-03, 07:36 AM   #2  
darrell McCoy
harness's can be a PITA to start with, now that you have a mix and match, it will be a little more difficult. The only solution I see is try to pick up an O.E.M factory manual for this beast. I realise this is not the answere you would like to see, believe me, you need a manual.

WV

12-15-03, 03:17 PM   #3  
I really dont understand what you mean by wiring colors changed. The wires are on the car, not the engine. An imported Jap engine is no different that an engine in a car already here. They all came from Japan or were designed by Japanese. Should be no difference. I agree with Darrell that you need a manual on this one. You may just be complicating things by looking too hard at the birds nest of wires you have there.
Billy

You can try using the Chiltons Auto Library to see if it will help you. Most likely you will need several different diagrams for detail.http://www.cybrrpartspro.com/Manual%...delLookup.html

12-15-03, 05:44 PM   #4  
Colors usually change for a reason. It's likely the circuits are different and you could be headed for some problems.

Visiting Guest

12-16-03, 10:29 PM   #5  
Zanoesus
Wiring ( To Be Continued )

Thanx Guys
For the speedy reply and yes - perhaps I'm making a mountain out of it. But just don't want to take any chances.

* billys68ss Moderator * also thanx for the link and it seems to be just what I was looking 4.

Now ! Out of your experiance with ECU's : Will there be anything that I need to change or will any 180i engine run on the 180i ECU of the previuos engine.

Sorry Guys - it might sound all like dumb questions to you but I'm in PC's not Vehicles.

Thank you and hope to hear from you again.

Kind regards

Knaterkraker

12-17-03, 04:00 AM   #6  
Re: Wiring ( To Be Continued )

Originally posted by Zanoesus
Thanx Guys
Now ! Out of your experiance with ECU's : Will there be anything that I need to change or will any 180i engine run on the 180i ECU of the previuos engine.

Sorry Guys - it might sound all like dumb questions to you but I'm in PC's not Vehicles.

Yes, things can be very different. You can find numerous different ecm's and wiring just from the car being manufactered for a different climate or being equipped with different options. You can be opening a real can of worms if your not careful. Wire color mismatch is the first clue that something may be different. Sending power or ground to the wrong terminal can be disasterous for computer controls. You need to understand the system clearly before you start splicing wires.

Visiting Guest

12-17-03, 05:26 AM   #7  
Zanoesus
ECM (Helping Hands)

Thanx again 4 the speedy response!

Yes! Now that is the thing - My Knowledge regarding ECM/ECU's is a bit - well 2/10.
And I need to obtain the proper info regarding the stuff.
Should the vehicle not start in the first place Ė can I?
∑Do alterations within the module (Like with computers to bridge out some functions or overwrite certain aspects of it).

∑Take it to someone that can do it Ė (Iím trying to avoid extra costs).

∑Do anything with the harness to enable/disable certain functions.

The engine that Iím referring to is a Nissan Sentra 180i DOHC ( D42 ) well that is what the person said that imported the engine from Japan. I use to have a Factory fitted Sentra 180i DOHC (?) in the vehicle.

Thank you 4 the feedback thus far Ė Itís been great!

Kind Regards

Zanoesus

WV

12-17-03, 10:18 AM   #8  
Do you still have the original engine for comparison? Does the outward physical appearance of the 2 engines look the same? If it does and there are sensors and/or elecetrical components that do not have the same connector, simply change them. Unless you received a post-94 model engine in place of your 91 model then you should have no difficulty changing these out.
Billy

Search this Thread