cooling system noise

Old 12-15-03, 11:13 AM
nooner
Visiting Guest
cooling system noise

I have a '93 Taurus wagon - 3.8L
When I start it up, I hear water running from presumably the heater core. When I drive it goes away. Everything is working normally (heat is good,temp. gauge normal), just wondering if this is air trapped in the heater core, and if so, how do I get rid of it?

Sponsored Links
Old 12-15-03, 01:35 PM
darrell McCoy
Visiting Guest
Sounds like air to me. Is there any small bleeder valves on the system. I have started an engine cold and remove rad cap, let it warm up, sometime this will dispell the air.

Old 12-15-03, 02:23 PM
You could try putting a restrictor in the return hose to keep the core full all the time. You'll get more heat that way too.

Old 12-17-03, 06:33 AM
is the cooling system full??

normally a cooling system only gets air in it if it has a leak and the expansion tank isn't kept up to the full mark...get the engine up to operating temp and check the expansion tank...if it doesn't have any coolant in it, you have a leak. fill the tank to the "full hot" mark and let the engine cool all the way down....then top the tank back up...thermal cycling works most of the time and is the easiest and safest way to get the air out. this should get rid of the whooshing sound at start up....now find the leak and repair/have repaired. air in the cooling system will cause corrosion and temperature fluctuations that you won't notice on the temp guage and believe me, you don't want to blow the head gaskets on that one...BIG bucks!

Old 12-17-03, 01:23 PM
Hi nooner

How long have you heard this noise & has it gotton worse? Are you using any other parts of the cooling/heating system now, if this has just started?

Old 12-17-03, 04:31 PM
nooner
Visiting Guest
Marturo: Heard the noise about 2 weeks, hasn't seemed to get worse. I have not done anything differently that seems to have caused this.

Carguyinva: Have not seen any leaks (antifreeze on ground), doesn't mean I didn't miss something. Overflow jug has coolant in it. I bought this car off my work a year ago and they had replaced the head gasket, checked oil and coolant, both OK.

Desi501: Not having any trouble with the heat.Will a restrictor repair the problem, or just disguise the noise?

D. McCoy: No bleeder valves in system. I removed cap and let run, when thermostat opened the coolant went down so I added some, when coolant rose it let out some big bubbles, which I assume was some of the air.

All: Leaving the cap off and running has made some difference. Should I do this again for a longer period?

Thanks guys.

Old 12-17-03, 05:03 PM
Smile Purge coolant system

A new raidiator cap & new tight hose to you coolant recovery tank may be all you need to purge your air.

Caps & hoses need replaced every now and then to maintain a good leak free vaccum to pull the coolant back in at night.

Old 12-18-03, 04:08 AM
Originally posted by nooner

Desi501: Not having any trouble with the heat.Will a restrictor repair the problem, or just disguise the noise?
It will slow down the flow in the core and keep the heater core full at all times which is your goal.

Search this Thread