Welcome to the DoItYourself Forums!

To post questions, help other DIYers and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our DIY community. It's free!

F-250 light duty 4x4 triton v-8

Visiting Guest

12-16-03, 09:39 AM   #1  
kking
F-250 light duty 4x4 triton v-8

help motor trouble

Sponsored Links

VA

12-16-03, 09:43 AM   #2  
you'll ahve to do better...

...than that...unless someone here has one they'd like to sell you! tell us what your problem is...and we'll go from there

Visiting Guest

12-16-03, 10:17 AM   #3  
kking
F-250 light duty 4x4

ok you start the truck it runs fine after about 10 minutes or so (sometimes) the motor starts bangging out (missing almost like starving for fuel or just missing real bad, this last about 2to 5 seconds then back to normal if you try and accelerate it gets worse if you let off or put into neutral it goes back to normal. this has been going on for a week at 4 times a day. the truck shakes during the few seconds. again in park and neutral all is fine rev up all sounds good.it started off doing this at around 60 miles per hour per since the 1st time i have noticed once at a red light i put it into neutral real quick and it stoppeddoing it, then took off fine.i have noticed it at all speeds since then averaging about every 20 + miles (sometimes) there are days that have no problems. like evrytime i have tried to take it to some other mechanic friends and make it do it, you know what happens then.

VA

12-16-03, 11:16 AM   #4  
banging and/or missing...

...sounds like maybe carbon deposits...short of having someone experienced (not mechanical friends...no offense intended) hear and/or feel what it's doing...you have few options here. you might call around and see what the going rate in your area is for a good induction/fuel system cleaning service. something like a snap on motor vac or BG systems work well...the dealer also should have good equipment to perform this service. just a guess at this point...

Visiting Guest

12-16-03, 11:40 AM   #5  
kking
Re: banging and/or missing...

Originally posted by carguyinva
...sounds like maybe carbon deposits...short of having someone experienced (not mechanical friends...no offense intended) hear and/or feel what it's doing...you have few options here. you might call around and see what the going rate in your area is for a good induction/fuel system cleaning service. something like a snap on motor vac or BG systems work well...the dealer also should have good equipment to perform this service. just a guess at this point...
carbon deposits will only effect occasionally?
mechanic friends are certified mechanics and all work at dealerships unfortunately there test equipment stays at work and it is hard for them to here or feel what is wrong when we drive around for over 80 miles and nothing happens except smooth operation. and obviously i have been trying to save money here at the holidays and if i can figure out the problem i believe we can get it repaired for parts only.

VA

12-16-03, 11:56 AM   #6  
i guess...

...you ought to keep driving them around then...eventually it'll happen with one of them there...hopefully you won't have to buy any tools or equipment to correct the situation

Visiting Guest

12-16-03, 12:06 PM   #7  
kking
Re: i guess...

Originally posted by carguyinva
...you ought to keep driving them around then...eventually it'll happen with one of them there...hopefully you won't have to buy any tools or equipment to correct the situation
between all of us tools are not an issue only the expensive elec tronic problem solvers.

12-16-03, 02:45 PM   #8  
Is the check engine light on?Are any codes stored?Auto parts stores will check them for free in most cases(Autozone or Advance)Maybe we can nail this problem with more info.Please keep related posts together in the future so you don't get repeat info from posters.

Visiting Guest

12-16-03, 04:47 PM   #9  
BBman
Maybe it needs a tune up or has a bad ignition coil. need to know what year the truck is. older tritons had plug wires, newer ones have individual coils for each cyl. coils go bad often, misfire codes will point to which cylinder is problem.

12-16-03, 08:09 PM   #10  
Take it to a dealer and ask them to put it on the WDS tester, check for misfire codes and also BARO reading. Also have them
check MODE 6 for stored data on misfire.

Visiting Guest

12-17-03, 05:26 AM   #11  
kking
Originally posted by davo
Is the check engine light on?Are any codes stored?Auto parts stores will check them for free in most cases(Autozone or Advance)Maybe we can nail this problem with more info.Please keep related posts together in the future so you don't get repeat info from posters.
\

the check engine light came on for a brief second the 1st time it happenned last week, unfortunately nothing was stored. the truck is a 1999 with approx 74,000 miles on it.(it was paid for last month doesn't that mean it is time for things to start happening)

Visiting Guest

12-17-03, 05:30 AM   #12  
kking
Originally posted by BBman
Maybe it needs a tune up or has a bad ignition coil. need to know what year the truck is. older tritons had plug wires, newer ones have individual coils for each cyl. coils go bad often, misfire codes will point to which cylinder is problem.
i thought about bad ignition coil but wouldn't that make it run bad all the time??? some days you can drive 8o+ miles and all is fine some days every 20 or so miles and it starts banging out. no plug wires it is the engine with individual coils. it is a 1999.

Visiting Guest

12-17-03, 02:47 PM   #13  
rocketir
I'm assuming its a 5.4L engine. There is a TSB about the water leaking on the #7 Coil Over Plug and shorting out. Check there. I think that Ford cheaped out on the clamp and some water can leak.

12-18-03, 04:25 AM   #14  
Ford didn't cheap out on the clamp, someone just didn't tighten
it all the way. The clamp is on the heater hoses going to the heater core. And coil that it gets wet is #8. Like I said early something will be in MODE 6 on this misfire! Or it could be in FREEZE FRAME DATA! The TESTER that we use at the DEALER is alot BETTER than what you get at the AUTOZONE or your neighbor's?

ASE MASTER
L1
SENIOR MASTER FORD TECH

FIX IT RIGHT THE FIRST TIME!

Visiting Guest

12-18-03, 06:07 AM   #15  
kking
you may be right on the water leaking thing i did notice just last week my passenger side floor mat and carpet was wet. as for having data stored , unfortunately not, yesterday on the way home i stopped at a ford dealer and had them hook up their machine and run through all test and check for any problems , everything came back fine showing no problems, 35 miles later it started missing again. i will check the water thing but is'nt this strange after 5 years and 74,000 miles a loose clamp lets water leak??? at least that is a start and gives me an idea of where to satrt checking the coils, at 7 and or 8 right. i appreciate everyones input and assistance and will let you know how it turns out. if the data base would work properly this would probably be alot easier to solve.

Search this Thread