Tranni issue

Closed Thread

Old 12-16-03, 01:11 PM
Big_Tank
Visiting Guest
Arrow Tranni issue

I have an 83 Chrysler New Yorker 5th Ave Edition. It is excellent condition and I would like to keep it that way. Unfortunately I think my Transmission is going. I would like to replace it completely but can afford it on a Sergeants pay right now. If I donít let it warm up it wont go into gear at all. At a stop it feels like Iím taking off at 2nd gear. Once I do get going it will change gears but sometimes it will rev-up by itself. Yesterday at a stop sign the car just up and quite. I couldnít get into any gear. I had to turn the car off and wait then start it up again and got luck that it decided to engage. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Sponsored Links
Old 12-16-03, 02:34 PM
If the fluid is full the tranny is likely toast and will need overhauled.

Old 12-16-03, 04:46 PM
Agree with Davo, sounds like it's cooked.

Old 12-17-03, 12:37 PM
Big_Tank
Visiting Guest
Damn

I feel kinda dumb but I'v hd the car for a week and just now checked the fluid level. It was low. I put in some "Slik 50" Tranni stuff hoping for the "Mirical in a bottle" trick but nothing has happend yet. What is the going rate for a new transmission? Is it cheaper to replace it or get a knew one? Thanks again for all the help fellas.

out

Old 12-17-03, 01:03 PM
Smile When has it had a filter & fluid change?

Why not give it a filter change & replace as much fluid as possible, a good 1st try? That is unless your fluid smells & looks burnt, that means rebuild time. No options no magic bottle of tranny Restore.

Sometimes a new filter & new fluid can give back some real life. There again this is a long shot & I would not waste a dime, if the fluid smells like burned toast it (The tranny is toast) won't help this one.

Don't go for price alone & remember you will also need a new Torque Converter also with a rebuild. A good parts kit is a little over $200 & a Converter is $60 to $120.00 I only use the best parts even though our Trannys are sent out, good parts last.

Old 12-17-03, 02:30 PM
Re: When has it had a filter & fluid change?

Originally posted by marturo

Sometimes a new filter & new fluid can give back some real life.
Not a chance. It might make it worse though. Clean fluid can be a preventative but it can only make it worse once the problems have started.

Old 12-17-03, 03:53 PM
Re: When has it had a filter & fluid change?

Why not give it a filter change & replace as much fluid as possible, a good 1st try? That is unless your fluid smells & looks burnt, that means rebuild time. No options no magic bottle of tranny Restore.

Sometimes a new filter & new fluid can give back some real life. There again this is a long shot & I would not waste a dime, if the fluid smells like burned toast it (The tranny is toast) won't help this one.

Don't go for price alone & remember you will also need a new Torque Converter also with a rebuild. A good parts kit is a little over $200 & a Converter is $60 to $120.00 I only use the best parts even though our Trannys are sent out, good parts last.
This is absolutely what you don't want to do. Don't waste your money and time changing the fluid and filter at this point.

Make sure the fluid level is full with the engine running. After that the next thing to do would be a pressure test.

Old 12-17-03, 04:58 PM
Smile Keep in mind we work without benifit of on hands testing.

Well Sarge it seems the Boys believe your transmission has gone bad. It's money well spent to have it tested at a Professional Transmisson Rebuilder first. Take your time & find a good shop.

Also with money tight. Do you have the will to try and do it yourself. With good manuels & far fewer tools than you would think. You can rebuild your own transmission & use much better parts than your fly by night Rebuild found at the large chain discount Auto parts stores.

After 17 years in the US ARMY (Brat) my whole life has been built around the concept, if another human did it so can I. My life has been spent learning to build & repair. If I spent that same time making big $$ maybe I could pay some one to fi it for me today.

I have not even had a tire mounted & ballanced in 15 years we have the tools. Short on money (My life) myself, I build or repair what I own or I sometimes can't have it. I can understand if you decided you can't or don't want to try. However the DIY approch means something else to each of us. I build & repair my PCs after 1 eperience with a storebought & the so called techs who are barely able to speak english or Spanish.

We only farm them out due to the Mechanic a friend I can trust & it gives us more time with the Engines our forte. It's not all that difficult to rebuild an Automatic Transmission. Get your testing done & think about it anyway.

Another possibility is you may have an amature Mechanic on Post, & you may be able to work out a deal

Old 12-17-03, 09:11 PM
mcourson
Visiting Guest
Trans is history

Having been to transmission school, its history you can try to service it but my guess is that when you do it wont work at all those cars had trans problems when they werent serviced regularly.

Old 12-17-03, 10:17 PM
Smile I guess I should tell yo this.

Well here it is. Once up on a time the Service & Mechanic had the oppertunity to talk with the Owners of the cars. This was only wasted time, if you did not know what to aks the Customer.

If you did there was a wealth of info in that daily driver. Many times you may get so close to the problem you had it pegged in minutes. Sometimes that was not possable & you got the (Fix to run) Just fix it.

Now all those basics you learned in school kicked in & you went through each system untill you found it fixed or replaced it. One fact became very clear & answered our early questions about why start with the simple things.

Through out most of the jobs reparing machines it was the simple things & not the most complex where the problems were found. My first class to learn the basics was an idea to keep the bad boys in school but away from the good little Boys & Girls LOL.

8th grade was heaven, I spent half my day 5 days in grease learning the Basics of the internal Combustion Engine. Small engine repair what a great time to be in school. I even got a job at the Country club for the Summer. Three Summers there & I bought my First Yamaha, with Gyt Kit.

So if I ask the driver questions you don't have to worry, it's just my way of doing dective work using the only tools we have at our disposel here @ DIY, our minds & all those years of listening to the driver for the best clues.

Codes I will just take notes, I would never stand in the way of true progress, only all cars don't have codes & on that note I will say Good night

Old 12-18-03, 04:04 AM
Re: Keep in mind we work without benifit of on hands testing.

It's not all that difficult to rebuild an Automatic Transmission.
No, don't try that. It may be easy to learn how to pack a clutch but it took these tranny techs years to get the experience to recognize a problem when he sees it. Overlook 1 damaged part and it was all for nothing and THEN you'll be paying a tranny shop to do what should have been done in the first place. There's a lot of people giving advice that aren't trained to do so. It takes a little more than a book to be a transmision rebuilder.

Old 12-18-03, 04:58 AM
mcourson
Visiting Guest
experience

well after 15 years of experience and hundreds of transmissions later..There is only one way to fix it correctly....I dont do quick fixes are patch ups...and its not hard to rebuild a trans..but ouy have to know what you are doing to make it last..

Old 12-18-03, 05:50 AM
i question two things here...

1) the recommendation to a DIY'er to rebuild his own transmission with a manual when you have no clue as to what this person is remotely capable of, and...

2) the reason for all of those personal references during a post that's supposed to help someone...perhaps I'm the only one who is having trouble wading thru all the junk to find anything of substance in those posts.

the bottom line with trans stuff is that it should be at least driven by a competent trans tech, no matter whether it's a chain or an independent...the key word here is "competent". lots of people can take apart an automatic transmission and put it back together again....but that don't make them a trans tech. it DOES take years to become a journeyman trans tech and it's because they ARE sophisticated and yet subtle...desi is correct...one small oversight and all that time and money is tossed.

Old 12-18-03, 06:45 AM
Big_Tank
Visiting Guest
Beyond operator level maintenance

Thanks fellaís for all the help. Honestly there is no possible way I could rebuild this tranni. There is a self help place here on post but all they do is give you a class on how to not make a mess in their bays. When I did check the fluid level the little bit that was on the tip was dark brown. (yeah the color of toast). Iím thinking the best thing to do is take it in. You all obviously know what youíre talking about and all of it sounds over my, Ēoperator level of maintenance.Ē AAMCO is about the only place I know, What is the deal, are they reputable or what? And if not who? Thank again and happy hoidays

Old 12-18-03, 06:54 AM
Tank...

...get the situation confirmed by inspection or testing...personally, I like to show customers the trash in the trans pan and sometimes what's been trapped in the filter. Then you can simply get an estimate from them. tell them you'll let them know and go home and grab the yellow pages and call around and ask the price for a complete overhaul including a torque converter from several other places. you may find that a local independent is lower in price, but their warranty will probably be less. don't know if you travel or move around much, but if you do...then a chain with nation wide warranty support is worth something.

PS...don't forget to ask exactly which model of trans you have so that you are talking apples and apples when you do your phone survey. good luck...

Old 12-18-03, 02:21 PM
The Aamco's that I know around here are reputable companies.Very clean work areas are one thing to look for in tranny shops because you don't want dirt in them.If the shop is organized looking it a good sign also.So if you see mountains of parts,dirt and trans fluid all over the place from never being cleaned up,stay away from that one.I believe good work habits or lack of them indicates the attitude towards the work they do.

Old 12-18-03, 02:34 PM
Re: i question two things here...

Originally posted by carguyinva
1) the recommendation to a DIY'er to rebuild his own transmission with a manual when you have no clue as to what this person is remotely capable of, and...

2) the reason for all of those personal references during a post that's supposed to help someone...perhaps I'm the only one who is having trouble wading thru all the junk to find anything of substance in those posts.
No, your not alone. I'm glad you said it. The philosophy speeches contain no technical benefit at all and the advise is usually wrong.

Old 12-18-03, 03:12 PM
Thumbs up End of games.

Desi repeted & coppied & pasted:
No, your not alone. I'm glad you said it. The philosophy speeches contain no technical benefit at all and the advise is usually wrong.

Perhaps it may be you Desi who thinks he is Gods gift to Mechanics but wake up brother & smell the coffee. You R not.

Thia is DO IT YOURSELF .com I shouted that in case you may be hard of hearing at my age.

As a Member here Desi, you are only expected to help others do it themselves. You will never be come a Mod here your far to stuck on yourself. We the MODs, have a responsibility to make sure members get a chance to at least try.

Anyone can say uh just take it to the shop, that's a no XXXXXer bud. Talking with and trying to help a novice Mechanic takes a lot of patience & with some that's just too much to ask.

Their are pleanty of Auto only forums where Parts changers can get together & boast but this is not one of them Desi. As I see it you useless little comments to a Moderator of DIY, serves no useful purpose at all.

If this continues I will be more than happy to write the SuperMODs, & get their take on your actions & my suggestions. Now if you think you can share this Forums, that does not belong to you or CarguyinVA but to DIY alone, then I suggest we get back to work, & cut the mustard, not just boast about how good we think we are.

No brag Desi just fact. I work for DIY & it's membership & have no time for childness when it come to our members getting a chance to learn.

Old 12-18-03, 03:23 PM
Re: End of games.

As a Member here Desi, you are only expected to help others do it themselves. You will never be come a Mod here your far to stuck on yourself. We the MODs, have a responsibility to make sure members get a chance to at least try.
Talk about "stuck on yourself" Gimme a break. You buy a couple of antiques, play with them for a while and now your an expert huh? Don't give me that "we the MODS" crap. We had another so called moderator that had an attitude just like yours and he's history because of it. We're here to give accurate technical advice. Your not doing that. You might be a moderator, but not for this forum so lets see what the local moderators have to say about this. Don't let your title go to your head "Mr Moderator.

Old 12-18-03, 03:34 PM
Well I like all 3 guys involved in this little debate so I'm closing this post.We must all accept others posts for what they are, opinions and let the original poster decide the outcome.

Closed Thread