Where is the problem-tranny or engine?

Old 12-16-03, 09:40 PM
Question Where is the problem-tranny or engine?

Hi! My Mercury cougar 90 is acting up. I see that on the cold start on parking RPM gouge goes higher than usual about 200 points. It doesn't looks like alot, but the engine roars louder and vibration noticable. When I drive tranny shifts OK, but it fills like car runs roupher than normal with less power and RPM is a little higher than it would normally be. I'm due for tranny oil change. Wiil it correct the problem? I have 150,000mi on my car, at 80,000 mi I had tranny rebuilt (it was slipping and eventually got stuck). It was 3 years ago. Or could it be the engine, maybe timing chain? I do hear some noise that shouldn't be there. I don't think that timing chain was ever replaced. Engine is 3,8L V6. Any suggestions? Does it sounds like a begining of a big problem?

Sponsored Links
Old 12-17-03, 02:08 AM
Sounds like you have a vacuum leak. Check under the hood for a hissing noise and locate it.

Old 12-17-03, 03:52 AM
You may have an ignition miss at cold start up or even a vacuum leak but if you are unable to determine which, then it should go to a shop to be diagnosed correctly.

Old 12-17-03, 03:47 PM
Is that explains also that under the load RPM rises a little higher than normal before tranny shifts? Noise I hear is not hissing, it's more metallic, that's why I've been thinking about timing chain. And seems to be coming from driver's side (under load).