Paint Scratch

Old 12-17-03, 04:09 PM
T
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
Paint Scratch

The other day I scratched my car with my key. It left a fine scrach in the white paint. Any recommendation on how to remove scratch?

Old 12-17-03, 06:31 PM
jimmymc
Visiting Guest
Maybe...maybe not. It all depends on how deep the scratch went into the clearcoat...I assume your car is clearcoated... most models after 1980 have 2 stage basecoat/clearcoat finish.

This means the colorcoat was put on the car and the clearcoat applied.

Inspect the scratch closely...with a magnifing glass if necessary...if you determine the scratch has gone through the clearcoat, there is nothing you can do except touchup or refinish.

If not through the clear ...lightly run your fingernail across the scratch if you cannot feel the scratch...try very fine rubbing compound from an autopaint store. Tell the person what you want to do and he/she will steer you to the right stuff. I would use something made by Mequairs's...like cleaner/compound.

Use a very soft cloth or better yet buy cloths/towels designed for clearcoat finishes(auto paint store)..a rough/bad cloth can do a lot of damage before you realise it.

Rub the scratch along its long axis...all you want to do is polish the rough area down inside the scratch. This rough area is what makes the scratch appear whitish and the scratch visible. Be gentle...take your time and remember...the compound is removing material(clearcoat).

Since your car is a light color this may provide satisfactory results...if not... then the next step gets complicated.

Goodluck jimmymc

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description: