1995 caddy

Old 12-16-03, 11:48 PM
charleejo
Visiting Guest
1995 cadillac wont start (again)

i have a 1995 cadillac sedan deville. V-8, front wheel drive. i've been told that these cars have a common problem with the ignition lock systems. (and struts, which i replaced and still have a popping sound on turning the wheel) I have bought 2 new batteries in the past year. had the cables replaced. before when it seemed the battery went dead the car just wouldn't turn over but i still had at least dim lights and horn. this time, the car had set for 3 days without being started and when i tried to start it, it was TOTALLY dead. no lights nothing!! the latest battery is about 4 mo. old. and also for the past 2 weeks i've been hearing a type of whirring noise comeing from a part that sets right next to the air breather ?? manifold or whatever u call it. someone (not a mechanic) said it was the alternator. but it doesn't look like any i've ever seen before. is it possible that the ignition lock system has gone out? ignition control system failure or just unlucky with batteries? anybody got ideas on what it is or what should i try before i call a tow truck? i live pretty far out in the country and it's going to cost a bit for a tow as far as i have to go. oh yeah, i had it on a battery charger for 8 hrs and it didn't help at all. the cables were cleaned and "jiggled" too.

Sponsored Links
Old 12-17-03, 02:05 AM
Sounds like you have a parasitic draw, or you left something on. Or you have a defective battery. Take the battery out and drop it off at a garage. They can charge it and then test it.

Old 12-17-03, 04:03 AM
That car has a number of small modules and timers that any one could be causing that draw. You'll have to start a sequence of pulling fuses until you isolate the problem circuit.

Old 12-17-03, 05:37 AM
perhaps two problems here...

...the first thing is to get that battery charged back up and get it running. 8 hours on a charger should be plenty to bring a new battery back to life...unless your charger charges at such a high rate that it cooked your battery. did you smell anything while it was charging? rotten eggs or a sulphery smell would indicate that the battery has been overheated and is probably toast. once you've solved that and gotten it to start, take it to a competent technician and have a full evaluation done of the battery, starting and charging systems. have someone make sure that the replacement cables are of sufficient size and installed properly. the battery should be fully charged and tested by conductance, if possible. it should also be checked for parasitic draw (a tiny drain on the battery which can actually be pretty substantial) preferably it should be less than 100 milliamps once all the modules and processors have powered down.

the next thing would be to check the charging system...checking for charging voltage without AND with a load (headlights on high beam, wipers running, etc) it should also have a ground and positive circuit voltage drop test done on the charging system.

last...have the starting system checked just to be sure it's in good shape...there should be plenty of voltage available at the starter during cranking if the battery is fully charged. starting system tests will isolate any cable and/or connection problems.

I advise this because you have been having ongoing problems for quite some time and it's very possible that with a car that age, you may have more than one problem. if you can try doing any of the above mentioned tests, post back and I can give you details as to procedures and expected results. otherwise...take it to a good tech and tell him/her as much detail and in the correct order of events the entire history of your electrical nightmare

Old 12-17-03, 06:38 AM
charleejo
Visiting Guest
Thumbs up

thanks y'all. i appreciate the quick responses. i'll be getting started on the suggestions right away. the thing about that rotten egg smell??? that car has that smell after it warms up all the time!! and i do seem to get a lot of corrossion around the terminals. i got a feeling that is somehow connected. at the dealership they said that was just an annoyance i would have to live with. anybody hear anything like that before? anyway, i'm on my way to hook back up to the charger and i'll check back in with y'all later. thanks so much again. charlee

Old 12-17-03, 06:43 AM
overcharging...

...causes gassing of the battery...the gassing is hydrogen sulfide(hence the rotten egg smell)...i really suspect your charging system is what's causing all of this...it may well have cooked the previous batteries that you had installed. the dealer is full of poop...it's NOT normal and I wouldn't trust them to test the COMPLETE charging system as i described in the earlier post. the reason for checking the positive and negative voltage drops is to see if the generator is properly sensing the battery's needs...if it senses low voltage due to resistance somewhere in the charging circuit, it will over charge and cook the battery. heat and vibration are battery killers.

Old 12-17-03, 05:32 PM
charleejo
Visiting Guest
Re: overcharging...

Originally posted by carguyinva
...causes gassing of the battery...the gassing is hydrogen sulfide(hence the rotten egg smell)...i really suspect your charging system is what's causing all of this...it may well have cooked the previous batteries that you had installed. the dealer is full of poop...it's NOT normal and I wouldn't trust them to test the COMPLETE charging system as i described in the earlier post. the reason for checking the positive and negative voltage drops is to see if the generator is properly sensing the battery's needs...if it senses low voltage due to resistance somewhere in the charging circuit, it will over charge and cook the battery. heat and vibration are battery killers.
u obviously know ur stuff!! when i bought the car the battery terminals were sooo thick with gunk it was unbelievable. i bought the car anyway because it really was too cheap to pass up.it ran great and looked good. he also offered me a 1 yr return deal. i like the car a lot. and there has been some exspensive repairs and replacements done already. (like a computer part). there does seem to be a "hot" smell a lot and the vibration knocked my rearview loose. i asked about all that stuff too when i went to have the front end done and that was something else they told me just happens with that particular vehicle. i definitely won't be going back to him. but where i live, they r the only dealership within 100 miles. i had to go there to replace the struts. no other mechanic would touch that repair. they said they couldn't, it HAD to be done by a cadillac dealer?? they explained why but that's another story. hopefully that is the only thing that will happen with. there's a pretty good caddy mechanic here in town. i take it in tomarrow. (i did get it started) and i will tell him what u have told me. maybe he'll treat me rite when he finds out i've got someone to help me that knows exactly what the heck is goin on. thank u, thank u, thank u!!

Old 12-17-03, 06:56 PM
charleejo
Visiting Guest
1995 caddy

is it possible for the ignition lock system to cause the car not to start? and if so, will a jump work to get it started? r there "symtoms" to a bad ignition lock system? same question for the ignition control system.

Old 12-17-03, 07:37 PM
Not the lock, but the ignition switch.
Billy

You need to keep your posts together.... Takes up way less space on the forum.

Old 12-17-03, 08:11 PM
charleejo
Visiting Guest
Originally posted by billys68ss
Not the lock, but the ignition switch.
Billy

You need to keep your posts together.... Takes up way less space on the forum.

ok , how do i do that?

Old 12-17-03, 08:12 PM
Hit reply instead of ask a new question
Billy

Old 12-17-03, 08:17 PM
charleejo
Visiting Guest

gothcha. thanks

Search this Thread