froth in engine oil

Closed Thread

Old 12-18-03, 11:45 AM
froth in engine oil

i live in nh and have a 2002 jeep liberty with a 3.7 engine;with 23000 miles on it, i keep getting froth in my engine oilfiller tube. the dealer says this is due to the cold weather,and it is not a problem,i change the oil every 3000 miles, any ideas

Sponsored Links
Old 12-18-03, 01:34 PM
darrell McCoy
Visiting Guest
cold weather and short trips will cause the problem of which you speak.

Old 12-18-03, 02:22 PM
Smile A mystery oil indeed

Hi trullac

I had this same problem when I lived in OHIO. The best advice I got was to use 1 quart of Marvel Mystery oil, with each oil change during cold weather.

Being a Chevy Man, Chevy's have quite a bit of lifter noise until they warm up & with the Marvel Mystery oil, it seemed to quiet them down faster.

I was reading a while back that some of the High milage engine oils, also showed good resistance to the cold weather foaming.

Good luck

Old 12-18-03, 02:41 PM
Re: A mystery oil indeed

Originally posted by marturo
Hi trullac

I had this same problem when I lived in OHIO. The best advice I got was to use 1 quart of Marvel Mystery oil, with each oil change during cold weather.

Being a Chevy Man, Chevy's have quite a bit of lifter noise until they warm up & with the Marvel Mystery oil, it seemed to quiet them down faster.

I was reading a while back that some of the High milage engine oils, also showed good resistance to the cold weather foaming.

Good luck
No, that's not a good idea. Mystery oil will do nothing for condensation problems and it's lubrication properties are very lacking in the high heat of todays engines. A 2002 vehicle with only 23K on it surely doesn't have any lifter problems. We're not in the 60's anymore. I haven't read any accurate advise in any of your posts yet.

Old 12-18-03, 02:58 PM
rocketir
Visiting Guest
try a synthetic oil. Also are you overfilling your oil? short trips will also produce a milky film, as MCcoy describes. Let us know what you find.

Old 12-18-03, 03:02 PM
NO problem

If the dealer says no problem let it go at that.Just make sure you have the right oil and at the proper level.

Old 12-18-03, 06:14 PM
Another Debate.... Another closed thread.
Original Poster has received some good info here. Plenty to make an educated decision.
Thanks Guys.
Billy

Closed Thread