Welcome to the DoItYourself Forums!

To post questions, help other DIYers and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our DIY community. It's free!

Brake idiot light behaving idioticly

Visiting Guest

12-18-03, 03:11 PM   #1  
dostrander
Brake idiot light behaving idioticly

Hi,
I have a 1993 4Runner, V6, manual tranny. Upon acceleration the brake light turns on for about 1 second, the brake fluid is good, the e-brake is fully released, the linings are fine and the power booster seems to be operating correctly. Any ideas?

Thanks in advance,
Daniel Ostrander

Sponsored Links

12-18-03, 03:42 PM   #2  
Check your brakes

Visiting Guest

12-18-03, 03:51 PM   #3  
dostrander
Originally posted by YamahaWolverine
Check your brakes
I've gone thru the entire system from drum/rotor to power booster, everything looks sound.

12-18-03, 03:52 PM   #4  
You say the brake fluid is good.Is it on the full line?ABS vehicles and some non abs have a sensor in the m/cylinder to let you know when the fluid is low.If it's low you need to find out why.Worn pads or fluid leak.

12-18-03, 03:55 PM   #5  
typically your brake light will flicker as the fluid level in the master get's lower and the reservoir goes lower until it ultimately turns it on. But if the linings are good and the level indicator are correct I would say check for proper operation of that fluid level sensor. Disconnect it and see if the light flickers still. Let us know what happens.

12-18-03, 04:01 PM   #6  
I think Davo and Yamaha are on the right track with this. It has to be fluid level.

12-18-03, 05:39 PM   #7  
The light is tiggered by the fluid sensor or the switch on the "E" brake only.

I believe you have to disconnect the sensor and jump the two harness terminals for the fluid sensor to bypass it.

Hold pressure in on the "E" brake handle when you accelerate to see if it's the "E" switch.

Visiting Guest

12-19-03, 08:37 AM   #8  
dostrander
Thanks alot guys for all your replys.

Davo:
As a part of trying to nail it down, I did make sure the fluid level was up to max.

YamahaWolverine:
I could see getting a low level condition when braking and the master cylinder is pumping, but I can't fathom a condition when the fluid level is actually lowering during acceleration?

toyotaman11769:
Hold pressure in on the "E" brake handle when you accelerate to see if it's the "E" switch.
Push in on it?

YamahaWolverine and toyotaman11769:
I got a response from a tech on another automotive Q and A forum, he thought it was most likely the donut float in the sensor. I do believe the sensor bears further inspection.

Thanks for all your insights.

12-19-03, 09:50 AM   #9  
Correct, push it in.

Search this Thread