Welcome to the DoItYourself Forums!

To post questions, help other DIYers and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our DIY community. It's free!

CV joints....need help

Visiting Guest

12-19-03, 10:01 PM   #1  
Spursfan
CV joints....need help

I am working on a 1994 Honda Civic DX with automatic transmission. The car has a bad CV joint on the passenger side. It was looked at by a mechanic early this summer and he actually said it had about a year before it needed replacement. It makes a pattering sound when making sharp turns and U-turns.
I wanna know if replacing the CV joint is a big job. Does it cost a lot of money to buy the kit? How involving is it and can I do the work or must I take it to the shop? What will I need to get the job done?
I'd also appreciate it if someone could paste any information on what steps I should go through when getting the job done(assuming it is not necessary to refer it to a pro). I was glad when someone pasted helpful step-by-step tips on changing an alternator and distributor last time I had to replace mine. Thanks guys....and HAPPY HOLIDAYS TO Y'ALL! Be nice to people(it's an election year next year....lol...moderators for president!!)

Sponsored Links

WV

12-19-03, 10:22 PM   #2  
Spursfan..... Replacing that axle is actually a very easy job. I have done them in as little as 15 minutes. The hardest thing is going to be getting the axle nut off. If you have access to an air compressor and an impact gun then you are a step ahead in the game. The nut should be 36mm. You will need to remove the wheel (obviously.. duh ) and the brake caliper. Tie the caliper to the spring to keep it from swinging by the rubber hose. A shoe (boot) string works very well here! Disconnect the tie-rod end, the lower strut mount from the lower control arm and then the upper control arm from the spindle. There are several ways this can be done, but this way works well. Then simply pull down and out on the spindle to get the axle loose from the hub. You may have to tap on the end of the axle at this point to loosen it up. Once you have the axle out and not in a bind get a pry bar and pop it out of the transmission and you are half way there.
Reverse to install new axle. Be absolutely sure it is seated in the transmission all the way.Remanufactured axles cost around $49.99-100.00+. For this car probably around $50.00. Replace the entire axle rather than trying to replace just the joint. Not many, if any, people do that.
Hope this is helpful to ya,
Billy

TX

12-20-03, 04:30 AM   #3  
CV joint

To replace a CV joint is a PITA you need presses and all kinds of tools.What you need to do is replace the whole axle with a new or remanafactured one.The CV joint comes on it already.
You will need to remove the axle so you will need a large socket to remove the axle nut.

12-20-03, 04:41 AM   #4  
You can find it here http://www.cybrrpartspro.com/Manual%...delLookup.html hope this helps.

12-21-03, 05:46 AM   #5  
If the axle is making noises while making turns, it's time to change out the whole thing as the others suggested..

Visiting Guest

12-22-03, 08:44 PM   #6  
Spursfan
Thanks guys...I'll get on it

As always, you guys give the best advice. I'm shopping around for a new axle. Will work on it once I get the part. Thanks again.

Search this Thread