misteriuos problem

Old 12-20-03, 07:50 PM
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
misteriuos problem

Hello, I have a problem with my 91 pontiac transport automatic
when I take a high way and I break for a stop, the motor dies
I start it and when I shift, it dies again, after a while every thing goes well.
this problem occurs especially when it's hot even in town when I speed up. every one tells me something different and I don't know what is exectley the probem.
please if you have an idea help me
thank you

Old 12-20-03, 11:47 PM
Forum Topic Moderator
Received 142 Upvotes on 131 Posts
Have you had a tune up lately? Sounds like it could easily be a dirty throttle body. That's the first place I'd look. Clean the throttle body throat, valve, and remove the IAC motor and clean the pintle and seat. Easy and cheap to fix.

Old 12-20-03, 11:50 PM
Does kinda feel like your driving a stick shift and forgot to put the clutch in when you stop?

Old 12-21-03, 04:15 AM
Find the TCC solonoid on the transmission and unplug it. See if that helps. It sounds like it is sticking and keeping the torque converter in lock up. GM's are pretty notorious for that problem.

Old 12-24-03, 09:18 PM
the pb

Thanks to every body,
Lary your description is exactly what is happening to my car.
I wish you know how to fix this problem.
Thank you

Old 12-25-03, 02:05 AM
Now the fix (sort of) is what Desi said.

Try unplugging the TCC electrical connector on the front of the transmission. I think it is blue, has 3 or 4 wires in it, and then drive it, and see if it still stalls. It locks the convertor a hwy speed to reduce slip and increase MPG.

The difference in MPG will be hardley noticeable with it disconnected.

Old 12-28-03, 08:22 AM
Thanks to every body. I tryed to remove the TCC but Icannot locate it. if you can guide me or you have a picture that can help.

Also I would know what is TCC, and is there any negative effect if it is unplugged.

thank you

Old 12-28-03, 01:35 PM
Originally posted by simpleguy1
Also I would know what is TCC, and is there any negative effect if it is unplugged.

thank you
It is the torque converter clutch. That's what gives you overdrive by locking up the torque converter to eliminate the slippage that lets you come to a stop without stalling. It's failing to disengage when you come to a stop like it is supposed to. It's a pretty major repair to replace is so most people just unplug it and go without overdrive. You probably won't even notice it gone.
It's a square plug goin into the top front of the transmission (usually). If you can find it, just unplug it and drive the car again.

Old 12-28-03, 07:21 PM
By disconnecting it you will still have overdrive if equipped. You will lose lock-up of the convertor.

The purpose of lock-up is to eliminate the 5-10% slippage that is present in every torque convertor. That was the major difference why a standard trans got better MPG over auto trans.

The difference of disconnecting the lock-up wire will result in maybe 1-2 mpg.

Look on the trans for any wiring plugs, should be 3 or 4 wires and maybe blue. Maybe some of GM guys can give you better info on location.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description: