Welcome to the DoItYourself Forums!

To post questions, help other DIYers and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our DIY community. It's free!

How do I eliminate or reduce static on the car

Visiting Guest

12-22-03, 07:57 PM   #1  
Spursfan
How do I eliminate or reduce static on the car

I have a 1995 Mitsubishi Galant LS. I have been getting the usual static shocks when exiting the vehicle. I've noticed over the years that all cars tend to shock me. Is it my own electro-magnetic field that causes this coz even my fiance's car shocks me but doesn't shock her!!! Anyone out there who knows how I can reduce or eliminate this static that shocks me on my own car should throw in a word of advice. It is not really that serious(kinda gotten used to the shocks as a fact of driving....heh heh!) but I'd like to know what it feels like to exit a car without little jolts of electricity urging me on!

Sponsored Links
Visiting Guest

12-22-03, 08:47 PM   #2  
KurtDixon
I have noticed some cars do this to me and others do not. It seems GM cars are worse than Fords It could be the way you slide accross the seat before you get out, picking up a few extra electrons Or it may be that your GF grabs the top of the door before she leaves the seat, grounding herself.
I find that to avoid the shocks there are 2 choices
1. close the door with your hip or elbow or any other place with clothing on it.
2. grab the door really fast with your hand (instead of reaching and gently grabbing the door to close it, hit it first.) that means the spark has less chance to jump and most of the charge gets grounded and only some of it sparks (so the spark isn't so startling.)
Of course I also get shocked by light switches in the house. Lately I have been dragging my hand across the wall first before touching the switch. Or I avoid the screws in the cover and only touch the plastic rocker.
I bet a whole discussion has gone on about the sparking when people close car doors, it always startles the hell out of me

12-23-03, 03:22 AM   #3  
The problem is not the car but your clothing!

Or really the method in which you dry your clothing. Use one of those dryer sheets when you dry your laundry.

I bet your fiance's uses the dryer sheets or some type of fabric softener.

WV

12-23-03, 04:08 AM   #4  
I get it all the time, especially when the weather turns cold. I hate it and wish there was something I could do about it. Sometimes it is light and sometimes it is violent.LOL. It dont help when you get in and out of 10+ cars a day.
Billy

TX

12-23-03, 05:06 AM   #5  
Static

Wear less polyester clothes use the fabric strips to dry don't slide across seats use rubber sole shoes touch handle with the key first.
I recall long time ago they had ground strips that you could put on your car they would ground the car. They looked like a piece of rubber that hung under the car.
But those probably went out just like the old curb feelers did.

Visiting Guest

12-23-03, 03:26 PM   #6  
KurtDixon
Are we talking about the shock when you grab the handle INSIDE, or when you go to close the door and put your hand on the metal OUTSIDE of the car?
The thing that works best for me is to hit the door first (no shock, my hand moves too fast as for the inside shock, I don't get them since all the handles on todays cars are plastic

Search this Thread