Welcome to the DoItYourself Forums!

To post questions, help other DIYers and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our DIY community. It's free!

How often to use Fuel Injector Cleaner

Visiting Guest

12-23-03, 11:51 AM   #1  
chivasgeo
How often to use Fuel Injector Cleaner

Hello and Happy Holidays to all....Anyone can recommend how often I should pour fuel injection cleaner into my gas tank. And is the product really effective as advertise? Any suggestions, comments will help, thanks in advanced.

George

Sponsored Links
Visiting Guest

12-23-03, 12:07 PM   #2  
darrell McCoy
If it aint broke dont fix it. Most fuel pumps do not like the additives over a period of time. Dealer products state "Not for extended use". I dont really think there are any miracles in a can. Best way if they need cleaning, have it done or do it at the fuel rail , not thru the gas tank.

Visiting Guest

12-23-03, 07:07 PM   #3  
chivasgeo
I guess the first sentence sums it up. Thanks for the comment/suggestion.

Visiting Guest

12-23-03, 08:38 PM   #4  
KurtDixon
I wouldn't add any additives either. But don't use the sentance "if it ain't broke, don't fix it" with everything. Things around the house and most things on the car DO need "preventative" maintenance. Meaning you fix or replace the parts BEFORE they give you problems.

Visiting Guest

12-24-03, 09:57 AM   #5  
rocketir
I use a bottle of fuel injector cleaner with techron before I change the oil. I throw in a bottle on a full tank and when it gets empty, I change the oil. Did this for 170k+ miles on my Fuel injected ford 302 with no problems. I wouldn't add any additives to any of the oils I use but fuel is a different story.

Visiting Guest

12-24-03, 02:27 PM   #6  
KurtDixon
Whatever works for you

TX

12-25-03, 12:50 PM   #7  
I dont use it

I dont use it myself I just buy quality fuel like Mobil or cheveron the name brands.
I have heard that if you do want to get some Chevron techron is the best.

Search this Thread