Welcome to the DoItYourself Forums!

To post questions, help other DIYers and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our DIY community. It's free!

VW Passat problems

Visiting Guest

12-23-03, 01:34 PM   #1  
no_sparks
VW Passat problems

I have a '96 VW Passat, auto trans, approx 90,000 miles. When car is cold, it will sometimes slip out of gear when I come to a stop. Trying to accelerate after stopping will rev RPMs normally and will eventually jerk into gear. Seems okay after engine reaches normal operating temperatures. This condition is aggravated in cold weather and if I stop on an incline (even slight).

I spoke to a transmission shop whom I was told is quite reputable. Over the phone the guy said he was afraid it would need a re-build, and unfortuantely VW parts are pricey. I'm looking at approx. $3,500, he said. YIKES!!! Car is worth only $6,000 - $7,000 according to internet pricing

help!! what do I do? seems crazy to keep the car..i've been hit with several big ticket repairs in the past three years...

thanks,

Brian

Sponsored Links
Visiting Guest

12-23-03, 01:51 PM   #2  
JettaGLS1.8T
not be smart, but have you checked your ATF? low fluid will cause slipping.

12-23-03, 01:52 PM   #3  
If the fluid is full you could add a conditioner to the trans sometimes it will help.If it helps trade or dump the car immediatly before the problem reoccurs.It may take a couple days to see if it works.

Visiting Guest

12-25-03, 03:00 PM   #4  
no_sparks
thanks for the input guys....
yes, the fluid was checked recently....

davo, what do you mean by a conditioner? is this an additive?

thanks,

12-26-03, 04:07 PM   #5  
Yes an additive that conditions seals.Good Luck

Visiting Guest

12-26-03, 05:06 PM   #6  
JettaGLS1.8T
sparks - what engine is in the vehicle?

Visiting Guest

12-26-03, 05:45 PM   #7  
JettaGLS1.8T
hate to say it, but i think your tranny is gone. do you live in an area that has a good salvage yard(s)? perhaps you can pull one with not so many miles on it or order the rebuild kit from vw.

Visiting Guest

12-26-03, 06:15 PM   #8  
no_sparks
I live in charlotte, nc....would think that we have some decent salvage yards. I'll check into that. Sorry to sound ignorant, but I don't know displacement right off the top of my head. I do know it is the 6 cyl, GLX model, if that helps.

Another question - do you have any guess as to how long I've got before it's un-drivable? The car has had these symptoms for about two years, and seems only marginally worse. Is it one of those things where it could last another two years or could go at any minute? This whole issue only surfaced in the past few days as I had the car in for servicing, and the mechanic (without any prompting) noted transmission concerns. Since I trust this shop, plus he was not looking to do the transmission work, I thought it was time I explored this some. Wasn't expecting such dire news. Of course this opens the whole question of what to do with the car, which you guys gave some good advice....just not sure what i am going to do at this point.

thanks,
Brian

Visiting Guest

12-26-03, 07:37 PM   #9  
JettaGLS1.8T
there is no way to determine when she will give way... having said that, if she was my dub i would find a salvage yard and find another tranny to put in. if you are not partial to the vehicle, i would sell it - unless you want to absorb the 3k to have it done in a shop. the symptoms you describe make it sound like she has been steadily going bad for a while. when cold, the gears do not align/hold... when hot, everything meshes and it is good... until you put it under a heavy load such as taking off from a stop on an incline. again, if it were me i would attempt the replacement (if cheaper than a rebuild) or find a tranny shop that would do the job for 5-6 hundred. if none of the above are an option i would trade it in as soon as possible and get a MKIV vehicle and go from there. the last thing you want is to "depend" on a vehicle in this condition.

Visiting Guest

12-26-03, 08:22 PM   #10  
mike from nj
mr. no sparks: i haven't worked on a VW automatic yet. i have rebuilt most everything else though.

a few basic principles: an auto trans needs a constant fluid supply(from the pan) if the fluid is low, or the filter is loose, or the o-ring is loose, or the 0-ring is missing, or the filter is skewed, then all these things can cause the problem you describe.

parking on an incline, or slowing to a stop(and the fluid sloshes forward---away from the 'pickup' area) or even cold fluid(warm fluid expands, and makes it be higher in the pan) will cause the pump to starve for fluid for even one second and cause the problems you describe.

i know you said the fluid was checked recently, but was it checked correctly? sometimes the difference of it being in park or neutral will make a huge difference in fluid level. that's why it needs to be checked accurately, like by reading up on the procedure, if the owner's manual doesn't say what to do, find a service manual----it's better than replacing a good trans.

these are generalized statements, your trans might be different, but it might also be similiar. all the things i mentioned will cause those problems you described.

what i would do: check the fluid the right way, if it's ok--pull the trans pan and inspect the filter and appropriate seals. you just might find an obvious problem

(now you know why i'm sometimes skeptical of 'reputable' trans shops, my individual experiences have been bad)

Visiting Guest

12-28-03, 07:32 AM   #11  
no_sparks
thanks again everyone for all the great input....
Mike, your comment was the same as another persone mentioned as a possibility, so I will explore that too.

One problem with this %$^&* model (or so I've been told by the dealer) is that the trans fluid level is checked only by lowering the tranmission, or other similar nightmarish difficulties. The dealer charges around $100 just to check !!! Anyway they are the ones who checked it for me a few months ago when I asked them to tell me what might be wrong with the transmission. They told me levels were good. Then said transmission checked out normal... haven't been back to this dealer by the way.

thanks, again....Brian

Search this Thread