Welcome to the DoItYourself Forums!

To post questions, help other DIYers and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our DIY community. It's free!

EGR Valve 87 Dodge Ram 50

Forum Topic Moderator

WA

12-23-03, 06:05 PM   #1  
EGR Valve 87 Dodge Ram 50

My daughter in California has a 1977 Dodge Ram 50 2.0 liter pickup that needs a EGR valve to pass the Smog test. No one seems to carry it. Anyone out there have one or have an idea what to do?

Mike
Retired Real Estate Broker
Home Remodeler
Do it Yourselfer

Sponsored Links

12-23-03, 06:47 PM   #2  
It's an oldie but I would think it's available in the aftermarket.

WV

12-23-03, 07:30 PM   #3  
87 or 77? No Ram 50 in 77 so im guessing that was a typo.... LOL. Anyway, Parts America/Advance Auto lists 5 different EGR Valves for this vehicle. They are all color coded. Something to do with the ignition module. Im sure Mike will come give you the low down on the particulars. Go to www.partsamerica.com and look it up, you can order it from the web and have it sent to your daughter.
Hope this is helpful to ya,
Billy

Forum Topic Moderator

WA

12-23-03, 08:34 PM   #4  
Yup 1987, thanks, you guys are amazing

Mike
Home Remodeler
Do it Yourselfer

Forum Topic Moderator

WA

12-23-03, 08:38 PM   #5  
I looked at those. They read EGR VALVE: Time Delay Elec. Control Module; Color Coded Red . Are those the valves or a elec control module. A little confusing.

Mike
Home Remodeler
Do it Yourselfer

Visiting Guest

12-23-03, 09:53 PM   #6  
mike from nj
the only thing dodge on that truck is the label.

on her mitsubishi truck, i would first unbolt the valve and thoroughly clean the valve and the passages especially. usually they clog almost solid. what i use is a full can of brake parts cleaner and a coat hanger wire to chip most of the chunks out and use compressed air to flush it out. unless the vacuum diaphram is popped or melted, unsticking it usually fixes it.

this will bring your NOx level way down.

i can't honestly remember seeing one of these with a 2.0L, only a 2.6L that i can picture. is it carbureted or fuel injected? carbureted is a big job to clear out, egr valve and sub-egr valve.

Search this Thread