'98 Durango

Old 12-23-03, 07:33 PM
'98 Durango

Friend at work has '98 Durango 5.8L 4WD that looks like Rear Main is leaking.

Is it a one piece seal that the trans comes out? Any tips or short cuts? Mike are you there!

Sponsored Links
Old 12-23-03, 10:10 PM
mike from nj
Visiting Guest
you don't want to take the trans out of this thing.

rear main is still old style----2 piece and neoprene, luckily it's not a rope type anymore.

you/he can have the pan off in about an hour with a lift and air tools. let me know if you're definitely going to do it.

i would have a black light on it with dye first. the oil sender unit is on the back of the block, as is a potential leak from the rear intake gasket seal and valve covers, all of which will drip down and look like a rear main. so will a messy oil change. honestly, i haven't seen anyone replace a rear main seal (except when i put it in backwards when reinstalling a crank, i won't do that again)

ps. tell him that ball joints are now servicable without complete control arms (check them)

Old 12-24-03, 12:36 AM
Thanks Mike

That was my first thought (He is one of our bodyshop techs) that it was a VC, intake or the like. The top and sides are perfectly clean. It runs straight off the curve of the oil pan down the inspection cover, stream must be only 3/8 wide and not slung around. It's one of the best contained oil leaks I have seen in a while.

Looks like a text book example of a rear main or possibly the oil pan gasket. It leaks a good rate, He says has a big mess in his driveway.

Thanks for the 411

Old 12-24-03, 08:19 AM
mike from nj
Visiting Guest
down the front of the shield sounds like a pan gasket, but the axle and motor mounts have to come out anyway. two more bolts and the rear main is out.

there is the easy way and the uphill way, if you want my technique, i'll let you know. maybe print it out and give it to him?

Old 12-24-03, 08:24 AM
Thanks Mike

Of course the easy way

Old 12-24-03, 09:44 PM
mike from nj
Visiting Guest
--take out the lower radiator splash shield and the oil dipstick--not the tube, unplug the battery

--unbolt the axles from the differential and some top mounting bolts and drop it out, axles stay in the car

--measure from the front frame up to the crankshaft pulley(balancer), cut a piece of 2X4-- 1/2 inch longer and put a slight notch in it

--put a pole jack under the front of the oil pan, start taking out the motor plates. 5/8" in the trans, 18 and 21mm mount bolts, 3-9/16 in to the block. take the whole plate out as one.

--put the notched 2X4 under the front balancer

--two 21mm nuts holding the idler arm to the frame, and pull it down as far as it will go and turn the wheel to the left.

--the starter and the shield

--the oil pan is now on display for your removal

--use common sense on the rear main seal, i'm sure you've done a few of these in your years

--i forget oil pump torque, but the mains are 85 ft/lbs
be careful when reinstalling the oil pump (no gasket). it cannot be drawn up with bolts or you will crack the body. you absolutely must hold it flush to the rear main, then run the bolts up. i like to glue the gasket to the pan, silicone in the 4 corners, and tighten it up while it's still wet.

---pray it's not an oil galley plug on the back of the block, that is VERY rare, seen it only twice and on very low mileage trucks

i hope i didn't miss anything

Old 12-25-03, 01:53 AM
Mike thanks alot, I'm going to print it out and give it to my friend