92 Chevrolet Transmission

Old 12-24-03, 11:06 PM
LBruce
Visiting Guest
92 Chevrolet Transmission

I own a 92 Chevrolet Van that has transmission problems. The motor is a 4.3-6 cylinder. The problem is that the transmission will not shift into 3rd gear until the motor has been running for about 15 minutes and is warmed up. The problem is worse in cold weather. Before going to work I always start the Van about 20 minutes before I want to leave. If I try to drive the Van before it is warmed up it hesitates before going into reverse and will shift through 1st and 2nd but not 3rd until I have driven several miles. Once the motor and Transmission are warm the Van drives find. I have been driving this Van like this for quite sometime and am wondering if I can repair it or do I need a complete re-build. Any recommendations would be appreciated.
Thanks!

Sponsored Links
Old 12-24-03, 11:46 PM
KurtDixon
Visiting Guest
First, check the level and condition of the fluid, the manual will let you know how to do this.
If it is low or makes you tear when you smell it, then either you need to add some (if it is low) or you have a major problem in the tranny (if the fluid smells rancid or is brown/burnt)
3 choices if the fluid is bad
1. get the transmission replaced (big money)
2. get it rebuilded (not as much money but will still make a dent in your wallet.)
3. drive it like this until the transmission gets destroyed and then get rid of the van.
a 4th option would be to rebuild it yourself, but you will have to buy the parts (only in the 100s as opposed to the 1000s to get a pro) and then read up on how to do it, then book a weekend to do it all.
BTW do not change the fluid if it is burnt, often this will make things worse. If the fluid is burnt/bad, the damage is done and putting in fresh fluid will probably shorten this transmission's life even more
Good luck, this is basic advice, a professional will give you further options, if any

Old 12-25-03, 12:16 AM
LBruce
Visiting Guest
Thanks Kurt:
I have previously replaced the Transmission Filter and Fluid and added Trans X but no real inprovement. The Fluid does have a dark color. With the Trans X there was some inprovement for a day or so but that's all. I am just dealing with it at this time and have been for about 2 years.

Old 12-25-03, 12:48 AM
KurtDixon
Visiting Guest
2 years and nothing has changed!
Is the fluid the same color as new fluid (sometimes the fluid is dark, as long as it is not burnt.)
There may be hope on the horizon if this has happened for 2 years, it could be a simple adjustment.
Lets wait for some experts though
Usually if there are operational problems (not shifting, slipping, missing gears etc) with an automatic transmission, failure is inevitable (happens within months, or less)
But this could be a simple problem, lets see though, the tranny could still be wasted, unfortunately

Old 12-25-03, 05:49 AM
Sounds more like a gummed up valve body, possibly sticky governor. Flushing the fluid may be a help in this case although the valve body may have to be removed and cleaned/replaced. If you try the flush be sure to use the BG chemicals that are supposed to be used with the flush. 1 before and 1 after.

Old 12-25-03, 08:22 PM
mike from nj
Visiting Guest
usually a sticking governor cause no upshifts whatsoever

reverse and third use the same clutch pack. the correct thing to do is to know which trans we are talking about, then hook a pressure gauge up to that clutch pack's pressure port, and watch the pressure's response time and reading.

my guess is that the seals are worn, or they are stiff. the cold adds to that. once it warms up, the seal gets a little more pliable and applies that clutch. seen it on other manufacturers products often enough. if it's real high on mileage (150,000+) it probably needs a reseal. unfortunately, the lower priced aftermarket rebuild kits are using the same style seals. the dealer is using viton seals that are unaffected by heat. you get what you pay for.

just keep driving it, after letting it warm up.

Old 12-25-03, 08:37 PM
I know little to nothing about automatic trannys other than that that is most likely a TH700R4. According to my manager who claims to be a transmission expert there have been ALOT of updates in those units over the years. I just recently installed a used unit I had in storage in my 89 GMC PU and it has similar symptoms. Im not driving it yet though so I dont know if it stops doing it once it warms. He claims it is a sticking governor and insists that I should pull the pan and remove the valve body for him to rebuild. I dont trust him any farther than I can pick him up and throw his so I say ixnay on that.
What you do really depends on how long you plan to keep the van.
Billy

Old 12-25-03, 08:50 PM
mike from nj
Visiting Guest
fyi---a sticking governor could not possibly cause a delayed reverse engagement.

get yourself a good overhaul book, a big clean bench, and have at it. once you see what's going on inside it, you'll see how easy it is. just make sure it goes back together the way it came apart.

the first one i did, was by myself with no book (and i was 17)

Old 12-25-03, 08:58 PM
I dont have a reverse problem that I know of.
AND
I plan to do just that with the one I took out. It was leaking like a siv from the front pump area.
Billy

Old 12-25-03, 09:13 PM
mike from nj
Visiting Guest
the original poster 'Lbruce' did (delayed reverse)

billy--stand the trans up on the tailshaft, with a bucket under it. hold down on the input shaft AS you pull the pump out. the o-ring seal on the pump's perimeter will be hard as a rock, and will break into pieces as you take it out. replace the o-ring, the paper seal and the lip seal and the leak will be fixed.

you need to hold down on the input shaft to keep from displacing any clutches. if the input shaft turns with a little drag, then it's assembled correctly when you're done

Old 12-25-03, 09:23 PM
Yeah... I know he did.... sorry for turning this around... ( IT is late remember... LOL)
Thanks for the tips.
Billy

Old 12-26-03, 01:25 PM
eas
Visiting Guest
no 2-3 shift

the throttle valve in the valve body is probably the culprit.you can get a shift kit that will probably fix the problem for around 50 bucks.but you'll still have to remove the valve body to do this
good luck. eas

Old 12-27-03, 12:17 AM
Forum Topic Moderator
Could be a valve sticking, but more likely I think it would be a bad/hard/maybe even cracked seal around the clutchpack piston. The fact that the transX seemed to help temporarily supports this further.

Search this Thread