2003 Dodge Intrepid radio removal

Old 12-25-03, 08:50 AM
2003 Dodge Intrepid radio removal

I got the wife a CD changer and of course I'm gonna install it myself. Any tips/special tools required to remove the factory radio from the dash without dammage to the radio or dash? The car is a 2003 Dodge Intrepid.

Thx for any input.
Jay

Sponsored Links
Old 12-25-03, 08:05 PM
mike from nj
Visiting Guest
i don't know if you want to attempt this yourself, you might want to get some assistance and set an entire weekend aside.

grab the bezel, in the cubby hole, and pull. the whole thing should come out. unclip a connector or two, and take out four 10mm bolts. the antenna clip might be a 'quick disconnect' type, treat it like an air hose, push the slide in (or pull it)and pull the wire at the same time. if it's not quick disconnect, it slides right out.

use a quality adapter harness, to connect the cd player to the car's harness. the reason for that, is that better ones, have a resistor built in to them. long story short....the radio is on the communication network, if the main module doesn't see the radio 'there' anymore, it might think it has a communication problem. that resistor would give a fake response to the bcm. this is what i'm told from school. i haven't seen this happen yet

let us know how it goes

(so much for an easy intall)

too bad you didn't wait one more year, the 04 intrepids due out in a few more months are a mercedes benz influenced independant rear suspension, rear wheel drive with a true MB six speed automatic. i have that school in february.

Old 12-25-03, 08:22 PM
Doesn't sound too bad. The CD changer is supposed to interface directly with the factory radio. The only reason for the radio removal is to access the port on the rear. Should all be factory wiring (plug and play). I was told if the radio does not recognize the CD changer to unplug it and plug it back in. My biggest concern was dash and radio removal. I know sometimes manufacturers like to make it harder than it needs to be and require special tools.

Thx for the info
Jay

Old 12-25-03, 08:28 PM
mike from nj
Visiting Guest
that should work fine.

why make a radio hard to remove anymore? the thief is gonna get it anyway, might as well make it easy to repair after the fact.

happy holidays

Old 12-26-03, 05:55 PM
Good point

Thx again for the info.