92 Ford Ranger/Heater problem

Old 12-25-03, 03:22 PM
CrAzYhOrSe
Visiting Guest
92 Ford Ranger/Heater problem

Replaced the heater core twice, and the thermostat 5 times this year. That's 5 different thermostat's. I am certain I have the thermostat placed exactlly as I took it out. This has not been my year for fords. I have yet to take this to a mechanic. Some things I am able to do myself. But this has been a real booger bear. I wonder if I could have crossed the hoses to the heater core. But I cant understand why that would make a difference. Would it ?
There isn't a check valve in there somewhere that would permit flow in only one direction, is there ? I've even replaced the radiator cap. Radiator is kept full. What's left ?

Sponsored Links
Old 12-25-03, 05:28 PM
Well you didnt exactly tell us THE problem. There is a heater control valve, or bypass valve, that could be causing the problem. Check the vacuum line that goes to it.
Hope this is helpful to ya,
Billy

Oh, by the way, the valve is under the hood on the passenger side close to the firewall near the heater box.

Old 12-25-03, 07:48 PM
CrAzYhOrSe
Visiting Guest
True. I didn't tell the problem. The heater is not putting out any heat. Very mildly warm air at the very best. How do I check the heater control valve, or bypass valve ? And the vacuum ?

Old 12-25-03, 07:58 PM
Warm the truck up and turn on the heat. If you have a helper this will work better. Have the helper cycle the heat off and on and through the different settings. If the valve works the little rod will move and this will change the flow of the coolant, thus changing the temp. If the rod doesnt move then there is something wrong before the vacuum line. If the valve moves but doesnt change the location of the heat or the temp then the valve is likely either hooked up wrong or malfunctioning.
Hope this helps ya,
Billy

Does the heat divert to the locations labeled on the dial when you change the setting?

Old 12-25-03, 08:08 PM
mike from nj
Visiting Guest
billy, don't forget the possibility of a clogged heater core. if one hose is hot and the other is cool----it's clogged.

Old 12-25-03, 08:10 PM
Thanks Mike, I wasnt thinking of that because he said he changed it twice already.
Billy

Old 12-25-03, 08:29 PM
mike from nj
Visiting Guest
oops, i misread that.

Old 12-25-03, 08:39 PM
Talking

LOL....... It IS kinda late......