what kind of lifters are these?

Old 12-26-03, 07:49 AM
ridelikehell
Visiting Guest
what kind of lifters are these?

I've just finished ripping apart a '90 5.0 Ford motor and the lifters that came in the motor are not roller lifters like I thought they were going to be, instead...they are flat on the bottom...I've looked through the Ford Racing books, (they are Ford Racing lifters)...and I found lifters that look identical to them, but they are listed as "Anti-Pump Up Lifters"...but the lifters I have do have a "springy" effect when I push them in which leads me to believe that they might not be "Anti-Pump"....the reason I'm asking is because I'm looking to sell these lifters because I have converted to roller lifters, but I don't know what the hell these things are called to go about selling them...

Thanks!

Sponsored Links
Old 12-26-03, 08:15 AM
those are stock Ford hydraulic lifters

Old 12-26-03, 05:36 PM
mike from nj
Visiting Guest
that's an interesting question

i've torn a few ford 5.0L apart, and every H.O. (mustang) engine had roller/hydraulic lifters

i thought one of the things that made it a H.O. was the rollers.

i guess you don't have a H.O. block.

i would check the numbers on the block, like the date and whatever else you can find. i know some manufacturers stamp the VIN into the block, that would help you big time.

flat bottom lifters on a roller designed cam is a big no-no.

who would buy used hydraulic lifters? once they're seated to that particular cam, they won't live on any other one for long. you/ he will have a flat cam lobe quickly. used rollers, can be reused on another roller cam, without problems.

Old 12-27-03, 10:16 AM
ridelikehell
Visiting Guest
its kind of a weird story...basically i did a short block core swap with a rebuilder, and had them put in a FMS B-303 cam (hydraulic roller)...but when the engine came, the lifters they had put in were the flat ones that I mentioned...they have NEVER been run before they are brand new, why the builder put them in I'll never know...I guess they figured we'd be running those instead of the rollers...I thought that would be too much of a confusing story to get my question across before so I didn't bother with it...but regardless...they're brand new, never been run, and I just didn't think that the flat lifters were hydraulic so I needed to clarify before I went about selling them off...but thanks for your input!

Old 12-27-03, 11:47 AM
Why would a rebuilder put those lifters in an engine he installed a roller cam in?I would make sure you got the correct camshaft you had asked for something sounds fishy here.Take the lifters back to him for credit he had to know you were going to run rollers right?

Old 12-27-03, 12:29 PM
ridelikehell
Visiting Guest
Originally posted by davo
Why would a rebuilder put those lifters in an engine he installed a roller cam in?I would make sure you got the correct camshaft you had asked for something sounds fishy here.Take the lifters back to him for credit he had to know you were going to run rollers right?
Yeah I check with the builder and hes sure they put the proper cam in, I guess either they don't normally supplly lifters with a short block and they were just plugging the holes? or they just screwed up...I also checked the gallery depth where the lifters seat and its the proper depth for a roller block so I think it was just a screw up on their part.

Old 12-27-03, 08:27 PM
mike from nj
Visiting Guest
normally, i measure everything a machine shop does, and luckily it's been dead on accurate everytime

if they ever put hydraulic lifters on a known roller cam, i would be very concerned.

regular hydraulic lifters, that have never been used are springy when pushing in on the top part. once they see oil pressure and fill up, they will no longer be springy. what you are seeing is normal.

as for anti-pump up lifters, it's a name given to hydraulic lifters designed for very high rpm. normal, factory, original equipment ones, would pump up above say 7500 rpm, and hold the valves open. i think these ones are designed some certain way hold pressure, to prevent this from happening. but to run a high rpm, you need heavier valve springs, which don't work to well with hydraulic lifters in general. that's why most serious high rpm engines convert to a true roller (solid lifter) cam for that application.

without a part number on the lifter, or disassembling one, you would have no way of knowing if it was a stock one or an anti-pump up one

me: i would be measuring everything, AND i would be reading the back of the camshaft for the B303 stamping just to sleep easy at night.

Old 12-28-03, 08:59 AM
ridelikehell
Visiting Guest
the problem is I've already put the entire engine together...how screwed am I if god forbid I fire it up and the wrong cam is in there???

Old 12-28-03, 09:45 PM
mike from nj
Visiting Guest
you'll be the first to know

Old 12-29-03, 09:29 AM
ridelikehell
Visiting Guest
i'm guessing it'll still run though wont it?

Old 12-29-03, 05:15 PM
mike from nj
Visiting Guest
yes it would run, you might not even notice any difference too.

flat hydraulic lifters on a roller cam would chew up both pretty fast.

roller lifters on a 'flat hydraulic' type cam, would run different, depending on which profile you ended up with, but would likely cause no problem, it would just be down on power. the total lift would be the same, but duration and overlap would be much less.

Old 12-30-03, 09:07 AM
ridelikehell
Visiting Guest
thanks for all your help...I'm going to call the builder again and see what they have to say...

much appreciated.

--Dave.